POST HIP REPLACEMENT

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had hip replacement 4 days ago and I have noticed that my leg has really swollen, my ankle is swollen. I have a lot of deep red bruising. Is this normal? I have called 111 but currently been waiting 3 hours for a phone call.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

hi Joanne. the first thr i had 18 months ago, i experienced the same. the swelling began in my thigh and very quickly moved down to my knee, ankle and even my toes. i was very bruised around my thigh and it was tender. 4 days is very early, and swelling is very common. It is caused by fluid rushing to the site of injury to help protect and heal. My swelling lasted 3 months, I thought it would never go! My second thr , 4 weeks ago, I had minimal swelling for about a week. The only difference I can think of is that the first time I followed their advice and sat in a chair in between exercises and walking, which i found very uncomfortable. This time I haven't sat in a chair much at all, I lie propped up on the bed to read or watch TV. Keep moving as much as you can, do your exercises, and in 12 weeks you'll feel amazing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.