Post op colon resection vomiting

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am on day 98 post op and still having inexplicable nausea and vomiting as well as constipation. Even though my surgeon said I could eat anything, I am very careful, partially due to the nausea. The first 3 weeks after surgery, I barely ate at all and even then pudding, jello, broth, and occasionally a baked potatoe. The first month, I lost 21lbs. but have gained back all but 17. I have finally started to get some strength back but every time I have a night of vomiting, I feel weak and struggle to get back on my feet. The bouts of vomiting (usually lasting 1 to 4 hrs continuous) are becoming less frequent but still averaging once every nine days and

the constipation is about every 4 days even though I am taking double stool softeners. I struggle to keep my sodium and potassium levels up and my blood pressure within normal levels, although still low. I am not on any medications that could cause the nausea symptoms but they did ease up some after I finished all the antibiotics. I have not taken any pain killers since day 13 of recovery. I am 74yo but extremely active up until surgery. I am starting to feel like I will never be able to be back to normal. The surgery removed 1ft of colon and a massive amount of scar tissue attached to colon and bladder. I still have occassional discomfort when I urinate. Fortunately, I did not have to wear a colostomy bag but the hole for the drain tube is still very tender. When I eat I am careful about the type of food and the amount but I still get a bloated and hard feeling where my stomach is located. Acid reflux is frequent as well. I am getting depressed and frustrated. This was supposed to make me feel better!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.