Post op CTS surgery 7 months ago, still pain and tingling, what should I do? any suggestions?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had CTS surgery on my left hand three years ago and recovery went well! To date, I have not had any problems with the left hand!  However, I had CTS on my right hand in June 2015 and it became infected.  After a couple of months it was doing pretty good!  In October 2015, I started experiencing painful tingling sensations, pain in forearm, elbow, shoulder moreso than before surgery.  Currently, when I type, write, or just do nothing, the tingling pain will cause me to stop typing or writing which is 95% of my job.  My hand surgeon told me in October that it takes one year to heal correctly.  I don't know if I should wait until June 2016 or seek medical attention.  Please advise!!!

Thank you,

Darlene

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Darlene, like you I had bi lateral CTS and one hand seemed to heal better than the other. My complete recovery took just about 6 months. I'm imagining with the infection, that stalled the recovery to come as quickly as your other hand. 

You might want to get a second opinion if you feel uncomfortable with what your surgeon is telling you. Like you, I have developed other problems with both my hands since my surgery, most likely unrelated, such as trigger finger and arthritis in my finger joints. I'm older and certainly understand my age plays a big factor in bones, joints and muscles.

I hope you have a complete recovery soon. Good Luck!

Glenn

• Posted

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your opinion.....that also came to my mind. I also had the trigger thumb on the left hand and they did the surgery for trigger thumb and carpal tunnel at the same time.  However, the left hand healed in about 3 to 5 months.  Thank you for sharing!  I appreciate your suggestion! 

I hope you find  more comfort in your hands as well!

Darlene biggrin

• Posted

If it feels worse now than it did a couple of months back then that is not really the pattern of agradually resolving, slow to recover, CTS so you need a diagnosis for what is causing the current symptoms. Go see a doctor. Dr J Bland
    • Posted

Hi Jeremy,

I appreciate your suggestion and advice.  I agree with you.......I am seriously considering seeking another medical evaluation from a different doctor because it may be something else that is adding to my discomfort.   

Thank you,

Darlene biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.