Post op discomfort

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my left cataract removed three weeks ago and it has been really successful, I can see so well. For the past week or so my eye feels bruisey, as if I've been punched in the eye - not horrendous but that's the only way I can describe it. Also I get like a sinusy ache. I just want to know if this is normal as I've been careful and still don't sleep on my cataract side or lift anything heavy.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I did not have that. Do you, or somebody else, see a sign of irritation on the eye?

I know some say they like some soothing drops, in addition to the multi-function drops that you are taking. One of the things that the prescription drops have is a steroid, which reduces inflammation.

For drop placement, my technique was to lie down, and look at the ceiling. Bring the bottle down, while watching the tip to keep the bottle tip directly straight up. Then slowly release the drop so that you don't know just when the drop will fall.

Some block the tear duct (nasolacrimal duct) after a drop. This would keep the fluid from draining into the nose as quickly. Just press under the eye fairly near the nose.

Have you noticed a taste after you apply a drop? That came down the tear duct.

• Edited

You should report it to your surgeon. There may be an adjustment required with the eye drops - different kind, or and extension of the use of them. Normally the antibiotic is taken 4 times a day for a week, and the steroid is taken once a day for 3 weeks - but that varies by surgeon.

• Posted

Thank you two for your replies. I got in touch with my consultant and he advised increasing the "comfort" drops to two hourly and I should be ok within a week. I only got the reply today and coincidentally my eye was feeling a lot better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.