Post op TVT and vaginal wall repair -- pain relief?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm having the WORST pain of my life after this surgery (in UK on NHS) and would like some advice. The surgery went well, so I'm told, but has left me with a tremendous and painful swelling on the right side of my vulva. I've been back to see my GP (left messages for my surgeon but heard nothing) and he examined me and prescribed the following: Naproxen (2 500mg tablets twice per day) with Zapain (a codeine-paracetamol, 2 500mg tabs every four hours) and said he would fax his findings to the surgeon. No word yet, but the pain is almost unbearable. It's not my abdomen, which is tender but not unbearable, but the swollen area. 9no external stitches) My GP didn't think I have infection but didn't do blood tests or urine samples.

My question is this: is there anything more I can do for this localised pain? I'd love to know if there's a topical cream, an anaesthetic spray, or even some kind of home remedy (cold compress, etc.) that would help. Has anyone else experienced this searing, excruciating pain? I'm writing this at 5am because I can't sleep!!!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Oh bless you. I had an Anterior repair done early December and no pain for the first four weeks and then it hit me. Not pain but discomfort +++++. It felt like I had a combination of severe nappy rash and was being stung by hundreds of bees 😞. As I was four weeks post op saw GP who sent me to the Gynae clinic same day. Swabs and urine test done, was given Oestrogen cream to use but no cause and was told, swelling and healing. This is the first week (11) that so far have had five days with very little or no discomfort so far.

You could try dampening either a pad, ir tenna pad and freezing then covering it in a gents hanky and sitting on it for relief.

• Posted

Jane, I'm so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain.  My bladder is pushing on my vaginal wall, and it is the size of a grapefruit at times.  I want to know if any of you had a lot of fluid retention in your bladder, causing bloating and a five to eight pound weight gain over a period of two days, especially if you have problems with your bowels....I have a spinal problem in which I lost five inches of height...I went from 5'4 to 4'10 over the years and all my organs are pushing on each other.  I don't know if it is just me, or do you always feel as through you have to urinate and bowels just won't move very often...Thank you for any information you can give me.  I guess I will have this the rest of my life because no doctor wants to touch this with a ten foot pole....thank you...

• Posted

Re the problem of vulva pain. It could well be that the nerves have been affected so you've got a sort of neuralgia that should pass as things settle down.  I've had this over the years generally sometimes appalling pain and again after the operation so although you feel great that you're no longer prolapsed you still feel bad with the pain ,throbbing, stinging etc. The doctor was never any good and told me there was nothing  but when I went to the consultant for the post -up  check , nhs,I was bad that day and tho he said  everything was fine I said what could I have please to numb this pain and he said you can have anaesthetic gel !! Amazing. I thought how can something exist like that and  no one has ever offered it. He gave it to me there and  then. It's called instillagel,  told me the doctor would prescribe more. I  then went to the doctor and  easy easy got some more!. It's not magic  but  it's soothing and numbing and some solace when there's nothing else.I am fine now, it's all past but I know it  will return at times especially with any pressure in that area from long sitting for example and now I've got the gel I feel so much better. Hope that helps you 
    • Posted

Thanks, Alybee, for that suggestion. My GP is not in today and two calls to the gynaecologist have still not been answered. I see no evidence (but am not certain as I can't really probe!) of any kind of sutures so I wouldn't think I'd be irritating anything if I try it.  Maybe I'll try the pharmacist and ask if I'd need a prescription. Thanks again.
  • Posted

When did you have your surgery Jane?
    • Posted

Hello. I had my surgery on Tuesday, exactly one week ago today.
    • Posted

Are you resting and by that I mean doing absolutely nothing and no lifting not even a kettle full of water? Try sitting with your feet elevated or rest in bed. Only walk very occasionally for the next few days. This surgery can leave you very swollen and sometimes it gets worse before it gets better unfortunately because of the amount of trauma. You may have an infection and if your GP thought you could I don't know why he didn't prescribe antibiotics. He wouldn't need to do a test to determine that.
    • Posted

Hi Matron. Yes to all of the above. I did think I had aurinary tract infection earlier, but not now. As I said, there is no pain from within....it's just the area outside on my right vulva and it only hurts when I move, especially sitting up or down or standing.
    • Posted

It could be the trauma from the operation. My husband has just reminded me just how much pain I had in that area for about 3 weeks after my operation. I could barely sit down. Hopefully you'll hear from the hospital very soon because they still have a duty of care and should get in touch if you have any problems.
    • Posted

Hello again. Still nothing from the hospital.... I called the pharmacy and they don't have anything called instillage but she suggested Lidocaine. My husband will go to get it, but I need to be sure there are no negative interactions with the Naproxen and Zapain. 
    • Posted

There won't be any interactions if that's what you get but carefully read all the ingredients and if you're not sure send me a message via this website.
  • Posted

I think the instillagel is largely  lidocaine . He said they always use it when inserting catheters, it should all be fine and at least some relief. 

Good luck with it all, it is very early days and all sore!

• Posted

Update: still struggling with meds and pain. I gave up on the Naproxen as it was making my stomach hurt, causing gastro-esophoagela reflux (sorry for spelling errors). I had to start using Nexium to soothe my stomach. So now I'm just taking Zapain (paracetamol with codeine) and Laculose (to overcome the constipation). 

I also use the Lidocaine cream for some slight relief when the pain is too bad. The swelling has gone down a (very) little bit. Overall, the time since the op has been 10 days, but it feels like 10 weeks! On top of the rest, the Naproxen irritated my hiatal hernia so I can only eat small amounts. Maybe that's a bonus as I could stand to lose a few pounds!

If I had known what it's been like for me, I'm not sure I would have done this operation. Just hope it all is worth it in the end.

• Posted

jane it will be worth it.....honestly. The first few weeks are the worst and it can be very painful. I was exactly the same I suffered terrible pain as well. You just have to keep resting, take your pain medication regularly and make sure you have your bowels opened regularly. You will just have to be patient, it's difficult I know but it will get better.
    • Posted

Just noticed that I wrote "hiatal hernia" --- that's the USA term. I should have used "hiatus hernia". I'm an American living in England (14 years) so my spelling is a bit schizophrenic. A few other terms are the same (oesophagus is UK versus esophagus US, etc.).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.