Post Stress Fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

I broke my foot back in October. The first 5 wks I wore an elastic bandage. In December I wore a walking boot (it had a plastic sole, and padding and straps to hold it on). I only wore it when out, at home, I put the bandage on. In March finally got it off and went through 2 rounds of therapy/rehab (about 6-8 weeks).

Foot is still swollen, goes down some when I walk and doctor says might stay swollen. Had a MRI last week and report said fine except for the swelling for unknown reason.

Doctor said I might have to wear compression stocking... but really the compression bandage did nothing except make my foot hot and ankle itchy (from it rubbing). This is why I rarely wear socks (I live in Michigan, so we do have winters) except in the winter and then they're only anklettes.

I'm to the point of thinking of trying accupuncture or just getting a larger shoe for my left foot. In therapy they had this bandage that was thin, but was for the swelling and kept it down ... I wouldn't mind wearing that, it keeps the foot mostly uncovered.

I'm also thinking of trying a younger podiatris. The fellow I'm seeing now has been practicing 30+years so maybe a younger one would have a better guess.

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You said you put on elastic bandage? ..make sure its cotton (Tubigrip) wear a double layer from knee to to toes.. WHEN sitting keep feet up!  Seems as if you have circulatiion issues with Varicose vein incompetence .. You will need to be careful you dont knock your leg as you may end up with a varicose Ulcer so be careful. Not having compression bandages could predispose you to ulcers. You need to wear your bandages from the knee.. ankletts are NO good whatsoever. Read up on Varicose viens.. you may require a doppler test which tests the pulse of the viens down to the foot.. Your Nurse can do a reading. My advise is to persivere with firm Compression Socks /Stockings and the Podiatrist can help with proper footwear tailored to you needs.
  • Posted

Thanks...

Don't know if this makes any difference, but the only part swollen is the top of my foot, where the break was. The therapist had said it could take a year to go down. Maybe I'm just impatient wanting it better now.

Maybe in fall things will be better. The temp will be cool (and my feet won't be so hot) and I'll be able to wear my leather moccasins. I just can't wear them now with the warm temps. It's the hot feet that makes me pause about wearing anything other than the slipper I wear.

Other than the swelling, the feet are the same color. Bruises and cuts heal normally. Both feet are warm and if you push on the injured one, color returns immediately. Don't see any veins, but don't have any varicose ones on my legs or arms. Had a doppler years ago and things were fine then (guess it could change, but I have a friend with that problem and my problems are nothing like her's).

Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

The fluid in your leg is probably fluid (oedema) cut out the salt and drink as much as you can and move about when comfort allows.vein incompetence in the legs cause swelling.
  • Posted

The fluid in your leg is probably fluid (oedema) cut out the salt and drink as much as you can and move about when comfort allows, vein incompetence in the legs cause swelling. Or it's lack of passive exercise..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.