Post Stroke complications

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now 7 years post stroke, having had several TIA's and taking Warfarin. In recent weeks I have noticed a numbness in my left foot and leg and I am getting more confused. This morning I can't remember what day it is, are we going shopping, hospital for appointment etc. Has anybody else experienced this?  is it another TIA? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pauline 59158

I am not a doctor but you should see one quickly. It might be more serious than what you think.

Fayçal

• Posted

Hello pauline. I am 6 weeks after my first stroke and hopefully my last.Since it happened i have no memory for the last few years but can remember things from my childhood like it was yesterday.When i go shopping i have to take a list as i forget what i've gone for..The doctor told me that my memory may or may not come back but has booked me in for some group meetings with past sufferers who pass on tips of how they survive with short term memory.I am 64 and retired so it isn't as if i have to go out to work every day.Even though it was very scary at first i am now doing a lot more than i could of a few weeks ago and hopefully with the help of the nhs i will have a long and enjoyable life.

• Posted

Thanks Malcolm, sorry it's taken a while to answer, but we've had lots on our mind at the moments. I am 84 and feel the NHS somewhat ignores my generation, with regard to life expectancy. I tried getting on a group run by the local hospitals stroke unit, but they turned me down, I suspect on age.

The local volunteer groups are very superficial, more interested in playing games than talking or sharing experiences and lessons learned.

I have always been very sporty, playing badminton and tennis and more recently indoor bowls. However due to recent issues have had to give up even that. My short term memory is poor, ask me about my childhood I can tell you in detail.

I neither look my age or feel it, so I generally don't tell people.

• Posted

Thanks Pauline for replying.I hope things are getting better for you.I recently had my results of my brain scan and sadly the front area of my brain has died through lack of blood during my stroke.I go to the hospital every fortnight and have to ask where to go even though its the same ward every time.

• Posted

Fortunately my husband comes with me , so we don't have that problem. But it is very scarey, I hate going anywhere different as I get very confused. Have you a friend or neighbour who could come with you? It would give you confidence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.