Post Viral Fatigue and Alcohol

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with PVF about 3 months ago following Labarynthitis. I realise PVF is probably slightly different to when you have been ill for over 6 months and diagnosed with CFS, however, both are categorised together on the NHS website. I have read on numerous websites that people with CFS & PVF are often alcohol intolerant and even the smallest amount can set people back significantly. I was just wondering if people have any personal experience of this? I have felt well enough, on occasion, in the last two weeks to have a glass of wine but I am too fearful of a setback to try. Thanks in advance! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I got bad Hepatitis then CFS.  Some docs advise me to be tee-total, others that I could have a little now and then.  I've  not missed it!  I've discovered tap water!
  • Posted

I've found that alcohol is bad, and this seems common within CFS, but not universal. tbh, there's so little good research and evidence in this area that I think people are often best just seeing what works best for them rather than taking the advice of others.
  • Posted

I think it's a very bad idea to drink alcohol when you have this illness. And labels like PVF and CFS are very fluid. I was diagnosed with CFS, which my doctor also called PVF, after only about 2 months. You are wise to be too fearful of a setback to try wine. Since you are newly diagnosed, you're in a time frame where you have a good chance of recovery. It's important to do everything you can to maximize this chance. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and sugar, get plenty of rest, and pace yourself.
  • Posted

My doctor usually refers to my ME as PVF and I've had it for fifiteen years now. There was a time I used to have a little alcohol but realised that I was always a little better without it and with ME or PVF, any little improvement is more than welcome and can make a lot of difference over time.

My advice would be to stop it until you're very sure that you're well again, and I hop sincerely that you are soon.. :-)

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

Controversially, I feel better (at the time) for having a drink but feel the same amount of "hungover" with or without a drink, often worse without? A friend with cfs/me however felt much worse after drinking a glass of wine and occasionally has tried it to see how they feel after.

Someone else in this discussion says give it a little time to see about recovery first? And someone else states-see what works for you.

I have cfs/me and not pvf so we may differ,

I will add however that I have had recurring labyrinthitis in the past and that the balance and dizziness were seriously heightened and I stopped drinking then.

Hope that things settle for you soon.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, all useful info. I think I will wait until I am feeling a little more improve, and have no upcoming events to risk missing, before I try it. Thanks again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.