Posted on AF / Flutter board as well

Posted , 2 users are following.

but I'd appreciate input from here as well 

OK, I'm currently under treatment for Hypertension, AF and TIA (I'm just a wreck, I know) and am taking Bisoprolol, Atorvastatin, Dabigatran, Ramipril and (a reducing dose) Amlodipine.

Whilst I'm happy with the planned effects of reduced heart rate, normalised blood pressure and no TIA episodes for a number of months now, I have noticed my sense of taste has changed.

I used to enjoy a hot chili, Scotch Bonnets (100,000 - 325,000 Scovilles) were my regular salad flavouring, Komodo Dragons (1.4million Scovilles) went in my cooking and I had just discovered the Carolina Reaper (1.5million - 2.2million scovilles). 

Basically my enjoyment of chillies was around the riot control agent levels of flavour.

Since I had my medications increased to the pic n mix special at the top I've found that my level of tolerance for hot spicy food has reduced to the level that I bought some Ainsley Harriot Spiced Goan Chicken cup a soups and they are too hot for me.

More worryingly I don't enjoy wine, whether red or white, any more (although I'm forcing a regime of experimentation on myself on that front) and can only drink 1 - 1.5 pints of beer over an evening.

Does the board have any similar experience or suggestions or can you at least offer me your sympathy for the living hell my life has become.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jason I can confirm that for me tastebuds, taste, appetite and sense of smell are not the same as 'before'. Chilli has become tasteless, strangely fresh trout has enhanced flavour! It has got a bit better and I moved on from the water and cream crackers stage but everything changed! 'm sorry, can't help but I can commiserate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.