Posterior Repair-still can't fully empty bowels

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 2 weeks post op from a posterior repair (rectocele), perineoplasty, and sacrospinous fixation. I am having multiple soft bms a day without any struggle, but they are still incomplete just as they were prior to surgery. There is trapped stool down low in rectum right at the exit that I can't evacuate causing me to deal with discomfort and a sense that something is still in there each time. It is causing me so much worry and stress that the surgery didn't work. I am so worried. Is it normal to still deal with incomplete bms early on in recovery? Did anybody else deal with this, and it ended up getting better? I am doing a high fiber diet and tons of water. I am not constipated as the stool is very soft and I go multiple times a day. It is just that it's incomplete and the rest sits down low in the rectum and won't budge.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I'm sort of in the same boat. I had a rectocele repair done 11 days ago. I still can't empty my bowels regularly, I take stool softener and metamucil daily, but still experiencing constipation pretty much daily..I get what I think is an urge to go and when I get there, nothing happens and that just makes me feel worse. When i do get its not hard, but soft..so, i don't understand not being able to go. I know I am not supposed to strain, but it feels like I need to in order to get relief... I'm miserable and in tears.

• Edited

I totally understand. I was so hopeful this surgery was going to work. I am going daily and it's super soft stools, but I keep getting a bunch trapped just like before. I then have that incomplete sensation that stool is still sitting down low in my rectum, but it won't budge. It sends me to the toilet over and over again. my stool is always soft, but it's always a lot of fragmented pieces and it doesn't all come out. it's like I go 50-70% and then it just stops and nothing else budges

• Posted

Same here. 10 days post op I am praying and trusting the process .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.