Postural hypotension

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone suffer from this? My dr says it's nothing to be done about, but I remember getting up one day and nearly passing out.

That was 18 years ago. I still have this problem now.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That should say nothing to be concerned about.
  • Posted

Yes I have this problem but it’s fairly new for me. My GP is reducing my dose of hypertension med. It’s a balancing act because I have stage 2 chronic kidney disease.  
    • Posted

I was 23 when it started, I was reasonably healthy at the time. Now I have a lot of health problems, so I worry about falling.
  • Posted

hiya, 

I have postural tachycardia syndrome which carries various similr aspects to postural hypotension. Postural hypotension was the first thing the doctors thought i had before they saw abnormalities in my hear rate and beat. 

i have the problem of passing out when standing up, it has happened three times, one serious as i fell from standing onto a stone floor and hit my head. There are some lifestyle changes which can help the symptoms, and there is lots of information online but if i remember correctly then increasing salt levels to therfore increase blood pressure can help make the symptoms less erious. Standing up slowly and giving your boy time to adjust is also important and making sure you have something to hold onto fo if your vision or balance goes.

There isnt a cure as such but it may get better as you get older and your blood pressure naturally increases. I would run any changes you want to make past a doctor before implementing them, but i hope this helps! 

Best wishes 

• Posted

Nowadays I don't use much salt, but back then, there was a lot of salt in my diet, living in a shelter, you didn't have any choice regarding what was put in your food.

I don't have any salt in my apartment, maybe that's an issue, but sometimes I do eat foods with a high salt content.

My blood pressure has never increased as I've gotten older, I'm 38 and it still averages 120/80. I'm not sure if it will ever increase.

But I do have issues with my blood pressure being low in the morning, I found that out in the hospital, for 3 days in a row it was below 90/60.

I've never actually passed out but have come close. I can't ride most rollercoasters anymore, the g forces cause me to black out.

I do monitor it closely.

• Posted

I dont know if extra salt will help you now but tryig things to help raise your blood pressure may slightlyaleviate the symptoms. Drinking lots of water should also help raise your blood pressure slightly as it will increase your volume of blood (i think).

Compression stockings are another option, and i am getting soon hopefully as today i went to get measured for them due to my symptoms not easing. 

You may wish to try any of these, trackers like diaries are helpful in making sure you get enough fluid everyday, and if you dont, how close to your daily target you are. 

• Posted

Fainting can come from different things, it can be not enough rest, working too hard, not plenty of fluids, it can be diabetes, it can be symptoms of anxiety etc. Ask your doctor questions, to get to the bottom of this issue, and analyse the moments you feel faint.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.