PPIs not working - advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

I posted this on a different thread but then i realised I would probably have more luck someone replying if I posted a new one, hope that's OK.

I have had reflux for years, mainly when I drank, where i'd wake up with acid in throat choking. Although it seems i must have had silent reflux most of the time without realising. I've probably had it since my teens (i'm 47 now). It never caused me too many issues when I hadn't been drinking, so I pretty much ignored it.

About 4 months ago I started to get the feeling like something was stuck in my throat. I also had some pain in the right side of my neck. The doctor prescribed me one 20mg of Omeprazole daily. This got steadily worse over the next couple of months and I eventually had an endoscopy. This showed oesophagitis, Barret's oesophagus, gastritis and a lax cardia.

I went back to my GP who upped the dose of omeprazole to 40mg. Once tablet, twice a day.

Since taking this for a further month or so, my symptoms have not improved. They have actually got worse. I don't have heartburn really but the feeling of something stuck in my throat is horrible.

I am eating better, eating at the right times, cut our caffeine (almost completely), chocolate, spicy foods, fatty foods etc.

It's depressing to have cut out all the good stuff in life and seen no benefit from it. For things to actually get worse rather than start to improve leaves you feeling like there isn't much hope going forward.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm open to anything.

Regards

Rob

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When I have a flair up like this it can take weeks for it to get better. If it has been longer than that, then I would go back to your GP as something else might be going on.

• Posted

I was,diagnosed about 2 years ago. I opted for no surgery, but life style change. I had the problem for many years. Like you I had,similar,issues with swallowing. I had been on 2 Previcid a day ,morning and night. I now,eat a few smaller amounts a day. I try not to eat to where l really full. Also I did cut out alcohol. I enjoyed my rum, so if I have a drink every now and then I just pour a very small amount in the glass before I add the cola. Also if you like beer, there are many non alcoholic brands. They are actually pretty good. When socializing,with friends it is a nice option. It has been a great alternative for me. One will go along way. I tried iced tea,and sodas but you can only,have just so much of those also. One big plus for me is that without any trying I lost 40 lbs. I still,take at least one previcid every day. If I know I am going to be in a,situation where I may eat later in the evening,then I take another before going out. Had my,checkup last August and the Dr was very happy with the results. Next year I will have another scope to see how things look. I,have been told this does not go away but can be controlled with the care. Hope,things go better for,you, I'm sure you will find what works for,you. Everyone is different. This is a great site because everyone here is suffering from the same problem. I actually,feel better than I have in a number of years. Take care

• Posted

Consider asking your doctor to switch you to Protonix instead of the omeprazole. Protonix is newer and seems to be much better. There is also a surgical procedure called a Nissen's Fundoplication that changed my life drastically. I seldom needed any medication after I had it. (I also had a large hiatal hernia that was repaired at the same time.)

Before the surgery, there was very little that helped my reflux. There were a few foods, like acidic fruits, that made it worse, but everything I ate could cause a problem. Since that seems to be the situation with you also, you might benefit greatly from the surgery. From your spelling, I assume you are in the UK and I am in the US, so I don't know what medical procedures are a possibility for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Yes, I am in the UK. The difficult part for me is that I don't really know what "triggers" the symptoms as such, as they are there all the time. I don't really get heartburn I just have the feeling of something stuck in my throat and some pain which radiates to my back. So I don't really know what makes the situation worse as it seems to be something that is happening "in the background" if that makes sense.

I have considered the Nissen procedure but am put off by the possible side effects. Dysphagia is a bit of a phobia for me, so the thought of that becoming really bad is a nightmare. Studies show it works well for some people but not for others and it's often not a long term solution as people have to have it re-done.

Has anyone had either the magnetic LINX magnetic ring or the Stretta? Switching to a different PPI is probably worth a try although I just have a feeling PPIs aren't going to work for me full stop...but we will see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.