Pre Band jitters!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I am having my band fitted along with my husband on weds (8th of july). Up to this point I have not had any nerves at all and I've lost half a stone on my pre op diet smile Last night the nerves kicked in, I have 4 children and last time I had surgery (gallbladder), I had a weird reaction to the anaesthitic and now I am thinking what am I doing!! I am really worried about the actual op but also about the post op recovery. We have some help with the children, but I really dont want to be out of action for too long and want to be back in mum mode quickly. Also, I feel really unorganised. We're having the op with Dr Super at the Hospital Group and to be honest the pre op support has been very vague. One phone call from the dietitian about a month ago and one pre op check from someone I don't even know what role she is. We were told that we will be 'done' midday on weds and they expect us out earliest at 7pm! I did tell them I wasn't sure I would want to be out of hospital after a few hours but that fell on deaf ears. Anyhow, I've got some toiletries and cotton pants, what do we need food/water wise post op??

Sorry for the moan, but I definately am getting cold feet!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

congratulations on getting some weight off, also see the nerves as excitement. I am in on Friday for my op but I am defiantly staying overnight. It might be as I am from the north east and it's quite far to travel.

I didn't have to do the pre op diet as my bMI is 30.8 but I am so excited. My support has been pretty much the same as you with a phone call but I have found Google a god send.

I will look forward to hearing about how you and your husband will get on. And remember that Wednesday will be the start of the rest of your new thinner life x

• Posted

Good luck - remember why you are doing this - talk to the hosp if you can ... But if you are not sure then postpone .... Best of luck Hun x
  • Posted

Hey -

So I had my op done on Wednesday

(1st July)

I feel fine now - just a little tender when I laugh or cough -

The wind pain is the worse from it all but not every one gets that unfortunately I did and it was for all Wednesday night but then went just need to walk around a lot

I have heard great things about Dr super from other discussion forums - people rate him -

I don't get why you will not stay over night tho I thought that was a must when having surgery

• Posted

Hi has anyone had any ops done by MR Smellie? He isn't on the website.
    • Posted

I have him on Friday :-/
  • Posted

Oh and to take with you :-

U prob won't be hungry - they give you water

Take some lip balm - that one thing I wish I had or vasiline my lips were very dry after wards

Baggy top to wear - I had baggy shorts and pj bottoms o just wanted to be comfy

Any knickers - I had to wear a gown no bra and just underwear - I made sure I went out before to buy some nice ones lol I'm pretty sure they are not bothered what you wear tho!

I am still on liquids and haven't really got my appetite back yet

• Posted

Hi Isabella, I had my band fitted by Mr Super in November just gone.  He is lovely and is very reassuring.  You will like him im sure.  Just let the anetheatist know what happened last time - he comes to visit you a couple of hours before the Op - as does Mr Super.  The nurses also come in to take a couple of questions and you get the lovely stockings you need to wear for the next week or two.

I was off work for 2 weeks - didnt drive for 10 days but I also stayed overnight in the hospital.  I believe if you dont feel up to leaving they can arrange i think (although you may have to pay) for an overnight stay.  Just see how you feel afterwards. If yours till in pain - tell them - They have a responsibility to make sure you are OK before they discharge you and if you dont feel upto it tell them too x 

take a book or a magazine ipad or kindle, headphones to listen to music or something to occupy yourselves with as it does take a few hours once your checked in before the actual op.  

Good Luck with your Op Im sure it will go brilliantly - i would recommend Mr Super!

Let us know how you get on and keep in touch x 

• Posted

Your nerves will increase each day pre op!

As soon as you wake up from the op you will be so relieved!

Regarding going home, if your not well enough to go home they won't let you leave. My consultant was adamant I was going home the same day, he came in my room to discharge me, I was in the bathroom with the nurse, white as a sheet and nearly collapsed as I get so dizzy after a GA. he said to my mum that I can go home and take it easy, she told him that I didn't look or feel very well at all, he repeated that I would be fine! I came out of the toilet, he took one look at me and said that he agrees I should stay in!! So don't worry about that! It's a fairly quick op so not too much anaesthetic!

Recovery isn't as bad as you think but you really shouldn't rush it as it can be very dangerous.

Post op food is different for every surgeon/hospital.

But I'm certain you will be on liquids for the first week or so at least!

I was allowed;

Fruit juices

Yoghurts

Angel delight

Jelly

Soup

Also I would advise windeze as they pump you full of gas during the op and leaves really bad chest trapped wind!

Also benefibre which is a flavourless fibre powder which you can add to your liquids and helps keep you regular 😉

It's honestly not as bad as you imagine. But it is very nerve Wracking!

Just think.. This time next week!

Your on your way to a new you x

• Posted

Wow, I had a very different experience with loads of pre op and post op help. Don't worry about the op too much...quite a short one only approx 40mins. I felt a bit of pain for the first 16hours on and off (with liquid morphin) then was told soluble paracetamol but didn't ever need any. I'm 6 weeks post op on Tues. I had iced water straight after but within hours being offered tea. I didn't want anything but fluids for first 2 days. Then had pureed foods for 4 weeks (as advised) I stuck to healthy diet and lost 12 lbs in first 4 weeks, when I had my first fill.

Was walking up and down the hospital corridors the evening of the op.....slowly but fine. Walked about slowly first few days but was out walking for short periods from day 4 and walking for between 30mins to 1 hour after a few days. Have 2 kids and was cooking for them etc (did do a few bulk meals prior to op and froze portions up so that had a few easy cook days).

Hope this helps. I think I had it easy....very bruised for approx 10days but mostly easy.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Isabella

i had my op in April abs as I was local I could have gone home. The plan was for me to go home but as I have child and I had a lot of trapped wind I away in a lot o pain so chose to stay over night. The pain of the wind did get better about 3 days latter. The main thing was a lot of gripe water and walking. Once thus was over I was ok but did not go back to work for about two weeks. After the op there has been much more support in respect of regular contact with dieticians. I did develop a bit of rash and did phone the hospital and they did get in touch straight away. I have the support quite good. Good luck with the op. It really is ok and once you steal loosing the weight you will feel so much better not just physically but mentally as well. Good luck😄👍🏿

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.