Pre-op personal question - personal hygiene ladies only!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Although I'm a few months away from my op, I'm starting to think about practicalities. Not the best subject to discuss but we all do it! - If you're not supposed to twist/bend how do you clean yourself (politely put) after a number 2? Also, what about the time of the month (tampons) etc.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fernlady

I don't think you need to worry too much , you will find you can bend enough to do the necessaries . I found having those damp washlets that are sold with the toilet rolls are ideal . As for nature's monthly gift , just swap to towels instead of tampons until you feel more comfortable . Hope this allays some of your concerns : )

All the best

Hilary

• Posted

Hi Fernlady

First of all I'm well past that age but I would suggest something like panty liners if using tampons is a problem post op but there younger hippies who can advise.

As far as personal hygiene when you've been to the loo (no 2) I bought some of the special anti bac wet wipes which give you the confidence that you are nice and clean 😀 and they are flushable. For men and women of course!

Linnet x

• Posted

Hi Fernlady,

i had the same questions well number 2 question anyway. If you are using the raised toilet seat and frame around toilet which is what i use i was pleasantly surprised that it was not that difficult, however i did invest in this handy item its called (Long Reach Handy Wipe) i ordered it on Amazon. It works really well and i also ordered a portable bedet. 

As for the other shouldnt be a problem but if so maybe use pads.

hope this helps 

Karen 

Brisbane, Australia

• Posted

Hi Fernlady,

I was 'lucky' enough to have my monthly gift, love that phrase, whilst in hospital recovering. You can imagine how pleased I was! But there was no problem with towels or tampons. What we have to contend with, eh?!

Dawn x

• Posted

Thank you all so much. I was hoping to avoid the dreaded brick pads but needs must. I'll send my hubby shopping for them! I might even go to the docs to see if there is a special 'pill' I can take for 3 months!
    • Posted

I didn't find using tampons a problem, your not breaking the 90 degree rule doing this. I did find it a massive inconvenience though! You can ask your doctor to prescribe you norethisterone which will stop the bleeding but you need to take these 3 times a day, not suitable for everyone and some people have side effects. Good luck with your op.
    • Posted

I tried that but doctor won't give you anthing to dtop them because you are going through surgery. I was lucky enough to get them while in recovery in hospital but managed to use my usual way with a bit or hard word and ended up it not being an issue. Please don't worry it works out fine

Laura x

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post op, and my best tip for you would be a raised toilet seat with a frame.  It is an absolute essential and I couldn't have managed with it.  Also invest in a 'grabber' to pick things up off the floor and stop you from bending too far down.  
  • Posted

Easier than you anticipate. Wiping ok especially if you use the toilet wipes

You will not break the 90 rule inserting a tampon

• Posted

Good question.  I am trying to remmebr what i did..first of all.and very basic..with all the painkillers you are lucky if you CAn go to the loo..but you won't be let home until you do!!  I managed OK...baby wipes are good as mentioned by another hippie. Also I mentioned months ago when I was pre op like you..a Fe.Wee is a good and practical investment ( from Boots) to enable you to do the' peeing part' ofgoing to the 'loo'..at night...worth a practice to get confident but oh so useful for the first few nights at home...as we all seem to pee a lot more due to the possible swelling of ankles and legs duriing the day and it has to get out somehow.  You can shower at second day, or I was allowed and encoraged to whilst in hospital and did so at home..but have a walk in shower.  i think its obvioulsy more difficult if your shower over the bath.

​Ask away as I am still doing post op months on...soemone will beable to answer your worries.

​Alice

• Posted

Hi there I am well past the time of month worry but do not do what I did

because it's awkward wiping I was using wipes which I told hubby to buy

only when it was too late i noticed they were wet wipes you buy for kids

and the toilet blocked and needed a visit from dinorod to clear the

blockage think I used too many and they are not biodegradable

So be careful as it will cost you plenty if you make the same mistake as me but that's life as I said to hubby things happen lol

All the best for your op

Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.