Prednisolone 5mg

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was prescribed Prednisolone after having a trapping sciatic nerve, I was in severe pain unable to walk or sleep. I was given Oromorph liquid, Diazapan and Predisolone 5mg (8x5mg once a day for 5 days = 40mg per day). To my knowledge I have never taken steroids before. 2 days after finishing the Prednisolone I woke with the most terrible acid stomach and and bitter saliva in my mouth. (I have been taking Omeprazole & Gaviscon for many years now for small Hiatus Hernia) I took my usual dose which had no effect whatsover.  I didn't want to eat, but have been drinking milk and plenty of fluids. Today I feel just as bad and also feel shaky. Anyone else had these affects and have any suggestions. (I am going on holiday next week to visit elderly friends and I desparately need to go, it will be the last time I will be able to visit them..

Any suggestions greatly appreciated I am seeing my Dr the day before I go and would like suggestions on what to ask. 

Can I double up on my Omeprazole? I am loath to do so without advice.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Can I just confirm how much Prednisolone you were taking a day?

You should go back to your GP or at least talk to him/her on the telephone

Personally,  I don't like Omeprazole and I wouldn't double the dose without medical advice

• Posted

I took 8 X 5mg tablets (40mg once a day after dinner)

I took them for 5 days and the last dose was on Monday last (20th) at 6pm.  I woke on Wednesday feeling nauseous, a feeling of acid in my stomach and inside of my mouth very acid taste. My husband spokje to a Dr yesterday who said double up on Omeprazole. This has made no difference and I feel just as bad today, been up since 5am. I rang the Surgery and have managed to get an appt in about an hour. I really am at the end of my tether, I am due to go on holiday in 5 days and can't go like this. I am not eating, I have been drinking skimmed milk, tried rice pudding yesterday but no change, also have tried yoghurt nothing seems to help. Will post back when I come back from the Doctor. Its not my usual DR so maybe have a different reply).

• Posted

I have been prescribed Ranitidine in preference to Omeprazole but I still take it as infrequently as possible.  I tends to cause me to have RLS.

I hope the different Dr comes up with a better idea for you.

• Posted

Just back from Dr had thorough examination BP a bit high (not surprised at that) she has taken blood & testing for everything (at least 10 different things). Said it is maybe a virus,but agreed the Prednisolone can have reactions . I now have (Prochlorperazine 5 mg).

(STEMETIL) I am frightened to take them now any one else taken these?

• Posted

Hi pattialice,  I have been on Prednisolone 5mg daily for many years, and have been

up to 50mg daily for a week with a swollen disc in the back.  After 6 days in bed the

back was fine.

However, I originally started on 50 mg daily of Prednisolone for a lung complaint.

As there was no instructions on the  medicine bottle, I just took them with water,and

within 24 hours I had major stomach pain, so then took them with milk for a further 6 days as directed, and still with stomach pain.

Just on 2 weeks later when back at work, I reached for the seat belt and felt an enormous pain in the stomach. Within 24 hours I was diagnosed with a perforated stomach which was patched in major surgery.  then there was no instruction how to take Prednisolone, ( this was 20 years ago) , but now the instructions are clear that

this medication MUST be taken immed. after food.

My last Gastroscopy showed the presence of chronic inflammation and reflux at the 

Gastro-Oesophageal junction and I now take Nexium 20mg daily to prevent Barrett's

disease which can lead to stomach cancer

• Posted

Thanks for your post, I only took the tablets 40mg a day directly after dinner on 5 days.

I have been taking Omeprazole & Gaviscon for many years (for a hiatus hernia) with no adverse reaction.

I have now been prescribed Stemetil(prochlorperazine maleate) 5mg 1 3 times a day. I am now frightened to take it in case it makes me worse. I am living on pro-biotic yoghurt, or plain Natural Yoghurt just to have something to line my stomach. I cant drink, tea, coffee etc, only milk or water. Would be interested to hear of anyone else who has taken STEMETIL tabs

• Posted

i was prescribed prednisone 5 mg 2x a day for 5 days for a sinus infection. i was only able to take it for 3 days. ever since ive had highblood pressure one day palpitation anxiousness . anxiety . i can barely sleep some nights with thoughts of what is wrong with me when i feel anxious. spoke to my doctor over the phone and she told me there is no way the short term and low dose is doing this. This started right after im convinced it is the prednisone that messed me up.

• Posted

Hi I am new on here and i was given a low dose as well and im tappering as down on the dosage. i just wanted to know how your feeling now?

• Posted

Hey, I'm currently experiencing prednisone withdrawals.

I took it for 2 months. Quit cold turkey. It's been 3 months since my last dose, and I'm still nowhere near recovery.

My question to you is, how much time did it take for you to fully recover?

And what where ALL the symptoms you experienced during withdrawal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.