Prednisone

Posted , 3 users are following.

hey all, iv read a lot of similar posts to this one but wanted to post anyway. i was having severe nerve pain going down my leg so i went on a 9 day cycle of prednisone, i had to come off after day 6 (pretty much all 60mg dose) because i was getting insane headaches, severe dizziness, brain fog (out of body experience) and severe anxiety. I am a physical therapist and had to take 2 weeks off of work because i could barely even leave the house. the past week has been better as im back to work but still get this brain fog that makes me feel like im not in my own body which creates either dizziness or disorientation (significantly worse waking up in the morning) i still have severe anxiety making me feel uncomfortable in my own skin and at work this week experienced a panic attack each day as i just feel way off. i even had to start taking xanax. iv been to my PCP and a neurologist and the blood work they ran and the brain MRI came back normal. has anyone had these crazy symptoms still 3 weeks post prednisone? there is improvement this week compared to last but it doesnt seem like much and im starting to loose hope like ill never be the same because its been so long.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am also three weeks off prednisone. I took 40 mg for 5 days. I was very sensitive to it and started having side effects on day three while taking it but I finished the 5 days anyways. the first week was hell. The prednisone caused my body to attack itself. I started loosing muscle in my arms legs and torso, my skin became completely dried up and wrinkled and it turned yellow. It caused my hands and feet to experience tingling sensations and numbness. I was experiencing crazy strong adrenaline rushes that were so unbearable and felt like I was having 20 panic attacks a day. also having problems with high blood pressure. high blood sugar, high thyroid hormone, because prednisone can affect all that. crazy strong palpitations. I went three times to the emergency room and I am still on medical leave until next week because of this reaction to prednisone.The second week was awful too but I had a couple of better days and this is the third week and things have improved for me. My skin is no longer yellow, Yesterday the nerve tingling and numbness went away suddenly and I am regaining muscle back. I am also not experiencing the adrenaline rushes at least for the last three days. My suggestion to you is not to take Xanax, especially if you are experiencing brain fog. Prednisone is an evil drug, but Xanax is also and it could cause more harm than good. The thing that helped me the most on my worst days was a Chamomile supplement. Concentrate on healing. your body. I also thought I would never be the same but since it has gotten better at three weeks I no longer think that way. Stay positive and don't lose hope.

• Posted

thank you for sharing your experience. i feel like my heart is stuck on fast mode. i tried working this week but took such a crazy toll on me i might have to go out for another week. my labs were all normal but then again i only got them done once while i was still on the med and had to rapidly come off so maybe i should go back and get thyroid/cortizol levels rechecked. the adrenaline rush is worse in the morning for a few hours but then gets better as the day goes on. but my job is so high stress it was making the adrenaline rush worse so i think i need to take more time off until im better.

• Posted

hello denisse ,

I know this is an old post but hopefully you'll see my reply. so I'm going through a Similar situation i also took prednisone for 5 days and then my health started going down ,mostly the stomach aches and horrible bloating, weight loss , anxiety, and heart palpitations.

it's been 4 weeks now since my last dose and i haven't recovered yet.

what's bothering me the most is the heart palpitations ( PVCs) they don't seem to go anywhere. my dr prescribed bisoprolol ( a beta blocker) it got better for the first few days nd then it got back nd stayed .

i really wanna know how you're doing now to give me some hope that it'll pass and o will go back to my normal life and did the heart palpitations take to get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.