Prednisone and bone pain - Withdrawals or AVN?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This is for the Prednisone veterans.

I've been on Prednisone for almost two months, starting at 30mg for a while and then tapering down (got four more days of 5mg left). About three weeks ago, I started getting some pain in my knees, but only after walking. I now have pain in all of my major joints, and all of my bones are also constantly clicking and cracking. The pain is more of a sharp stabbing pain, rather than an achy inflammatory feeling. I read some other forums, which seemed to suggest that bone/joint pain can be a withdrawal symptom. Last weekend, I started to experience fairly intense, sharp, burning pain in my left groin. This sent me into a total panic,as it's typically a warning sign of avascular necrosis (AVN). For those who have experienced any of the above - please advise (use your discretion - I am an anxious person).

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tapering can cause withdrawal pain if done too quickly. It normally happens fairly soon after the reduction is made.  Some people can reduce faster than others. It is highly unlikely you have AVN, although I am not an expert. Groin pain can be osteo arthritis in the hip for example and also other things. 
    • Posted

Hi there.

So, I'm 28 years old, and have until recently been a runner and horserider. Absolutely zero pain or joint issues prior to being on Prednisone. So arthritis isn't a good option for me either, needless to say...

• Posted

I know... But going from a fit and active person to a geriatric in the space of a few weeks (thanks to Prednisone) seems a bit extreme. rolleyes Trusting it'll pass.

• Posted

Joint pain is certainly a symptom both of inflammation and of steroid withdrawal. I doubt that two months is long enough for any real damage to have been done to your bones. Long term steroids can lead to loss of bone density and osteoporosis and patients will often be prescribed calcium supplements to recompense.

I know some doctors disagree on this but I think the withdrawal should be done much slowly to allow the adrenal glands to go back to producing cortisol naturally. Steroid taper is harder once you get down to 15mg or lower. Always listen to you own body. Consider withdrawing by 0.5mg per week: 5mg, 4.5mg. 4mg, 3.5mg etc. You can get 1mg tablets which can be cut in half.

• Posted

Thanks - I am also hoping that, considering the time frame, it must be withdrawal (unless my bones are breaking at a freakishly fast rate). I also seem to be getting some tendon pain. It feels exactly like tendonitis, but only lasts for a few minutes at a time, before disappearing (and sometimes reappearing entirely elswhere). It's the most bizarre thing. I truly hate this drug. Wish I'd never taken it. Never again. 

• Posted

I have had a bone density scan done, and am fortunately not in the danger zone in that department (thankfully). Got an MRI lined up for this week, as the paranoia is just becoming too much for me. I need to know if any permanent damage has been done to my joints. sad 
    • Posted

Why were you prescribed prednisolone? Is it for a chronic auto immune condition that may flare again? Maybe there are alternative drugs? That said most drugs that tackle inflammation come with side effects. Prednisolone withdrawal is horrible, can and does create sporadic weird sensations in different parts of the body. Think of how natural cortisol works. It's the fight or flight hormone. Think about how our bodies normally react in stressful situations. Our head, heart and legs feel weird. And that's with normal and natural cortisol levels. You have had a temporary boost to those levels to tackle inflammation and now your body is trying to get back to normal but the signals are all awry. That's how I try to think of it. It does get better.

• Posted

I was put on it as an 'experiment'. I developed peripheral neuropathy last year along with some other strange issues, totally out of nowhere (as an otherwise healthy, young and fit person with no known illnesses) and despite undergoing a host of tests, they can't find a single thing wrong with me. They seem to believe that it's something of an autoimmune nature - hence the test to see if the Prednsione would influence my symptoms. I am obviously upset, as I was at least still able to maintain some level of activity beforehand. Now, I hurt everywhere, which I didn't before. sad 

Have you had the bone pain specifically? How long did it take for your withdrawals to subside? Thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated. smile 

• Posted

I'm not an expert but I do know that peripheral neuropathy can have many causes some of which may be inflammatory and should respond to steroid treatment. It's unfortunate that no one had managed to pinpoint what is causing your PN so you still don't have a resolution.

Oh, yes. Bone pain was a very unpleasant side effect of taking the drug. I was very ill this time last year (I have Crohn's Colitis) such that oral steroids weren't working so I had to have the drug administered in hospital by IV. That really did make me feel unwell - maybe it's a truism that you have to feel really lousy before you start to feel better. Once out of hospital I went back to oral steroids at a higher dose than yours then did a very, very, very slow taper. I know from experience that my symptoms can reoccur if I taper too quickly. It took a good six months to feel well again.

You said that medical tests have not identified anything wrong. Have you considered lifestyle and diet as contributory factors?

• Posted

Yes, so frustrating... So, needless to say, this was really the last thing I needed. I was already in a panicked state about my nerves - now, this as well. All of my mobility is just under attack. I don't know what I'll do if it turns out to be AVN. sad

I have made major dietary adjustments for the last 3.5 months - zero gluten, grains, dairy, soy and sugar (honey only on occasion) - no cheating or eating out, and I have policed every food label. I gave up wine for a while too, but then reintroduced it, because I felt I should at least still be able to enjoy *something*. I was actually also worried about this recently, as I was told it's okay to drink alcohol while on Pred. I was on holiday for a week at my highest dosage, and had wine every day (normally max 2-3 times per week). Concerned that this might've contributed. rolleyes In any case, the diet has done nothing, and the neuropathy has continued to progress (except while on Pred, which did actually help to some extent). 

I have a gastroscopy and colonoscopy lined up for next week, as I do actually suspect it has something to do with my gut - although my digestion hasn't been massively problematic. I've heard of many people with IBDs/Celiac developing neuropathy first, before any digestive symptoms occurred. So, worth a shot. 

G;ad you're feeling better! Health is such a tricky thing. I always, always appreciated my health and mobility, despite my young age. So to have it taken away like this seems doubly unfair.  

• Posted

I was on steroids for 2 years before I had 4 spinal fractures and an Osteoporosis diagnosis. I've never had withdrawal pain as I know of though, and I was on VERY high doses at the beginning of my treatment for Vasculitis. Now only take 10mg a day, along with MTX and Truxima (Rituximab biosimilar)

• Posted

It'll be interesting to see what the endoscopies show although if you have not experienced any symptoms with the digestive process top to bottom I doubt it is going to be any form of IBD. You have already eliminated gluten so it's unlikely to be coeliac.

I'm assuming you have ruled out or have had ruled out orthopaedic problems. It can take just a bit of disc wear or misalignment to cause nerve symptoms. It might be worth consulting a chiropractor.

Clicking and cracking in the joints can simply be carbon dioxide and now you've got me thinking ...  There has been a lot of medical research into carbon dioxide and stress. I won't post any links else this post will probably end up queued for a moderator. I'm sure you can do your own search but try to find Naturopathic Doctor News and Review.  Maybe it is your anxiety which is triggering the neuropathy and you have got yourself into a vicious cycle?

Stress in itself can trigger inflammation and other weird symptoms in the body. Do you practice any kinds of relaxation techniques? Yoga? Mindfulness?

• Posted

My gastroenterologist also reckons I'm wasting my time, but I've read some bizarre accounts of 'silent' IBD/Celiac (i.e. other weird symptoms but no digestive issues until several years later). Also, those with neuropathy report that they never returned to baseline despite dietary intervention, so... it's possible. 

No orthopedic issues. I had a full spinal MRI earlier this year, with no problems identified. Any no pain prior to Pred. So there is no way that this is a coincidence. 

Unfortunately, I also hoped it was an anxiety thing at first, but even the neurologist said that no amount of stress can induce nerve infarction. However, stress can trigger a host of weird health issues - especially autoimmune diseases. Neuropathy is a symptom of an underlying illness/defect, so it's all about finding what that is. Ironically, I long to 'only' suffer from neuropathy... these joint pains are worse by far. sad 

• Posted

Hi there smile

Have a look at my updated post below. Your thoughts on the new symptoms are welcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.