Pregabalin and Gabapentin

Posted , 1 user is following.

I wanted to know if anyone has had and experience with BOTH Gabapentin and Pregabalin (Not at the same time obviously) I previously took Gabapentin at 300mg x 3 a day for 8 months and had absolutely no issues with it and no withdrawal at all, no addiction etc and found it very helpful for pain.

I was offered Pregabalin for anxiety and pain some time ago but was nervous due to addiction risk.

However due to Gabapentin and Pregabalin being similar medications I thought I may be fine with a low dose Pregabalin seen as I was fine with Gabapentin.

I was curious is anyone could tell me if they found either one more addictive or more effective, where the side effects similar.

mI had no side effects with Gabapentin, something I have an issue with many other medications like Sertraline, Duloxetine etc and it's why I figured Pregabalin could be beneficial for me.

Any advice would be great!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

I have been on both Gaberpentin and currently on Pregabilyn. I have found no difference in them for controlling pain or any side effects apart from tiredness and I have to be careful of weight gain. I take mine for Neuropathic pain. I wasn't addicted to Gaberpentin or Pregabilyn. Stick to a healthy diet and keep active if you can, unfortunately I have many mobility issues but still try to keep active.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing I really appreciate it, that's very annoying about the weight gain. I'm currently on Mirtazapine 30mg and finding the weight gain extremely difficult to manage but it's the only antidepressant I can tolerate and find it very effective for anxiety. I was hoping pregabalin might help break the weight gain cycle by switching. I'm also struggling to sleep due to pains and insomnia something I hoped the Pregabalin would help with. Did you find pregabalin had a calming effect for you?

• Edited

I also suffer insomnia due to anxiety and pain. I find taking 1 50mg of Pregabilin at night helps with sleep. I am prescribed 3 a day and more if i need. I only take 1 in the morning and 1 at night. My main reasons are the weight gain. I also take Co Codamol in the morning and at night. Not everyone has increased weight. I am not very active due to mobility issues, if you can be active then i think it's worth trying the Pregabilin.

• Posted

I too take Co-Codamol as I'm allergic to prolonged NSAID use, its why I was looking to try pregabalin as I really don't want to go down the road of using codine all the time and risk getting addicted. Do you find pregabalin helps for headaches/migraines too? I take Isosorbide Mononitrate SR for angina and it gives me a nasty headache that can be very bothersome some days.

• Edited

I don't suffer headaches or migraines. I know Co - codamol can be addictive but i only take the minimum. They help with pain and sleep and like yourself I have tried Naproxen, my Gp won't prescribe them long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.