Pregabalin reduction plan / stopping Pregabalin

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on 150mg (75mg x 2) a day of Pregablin since September for suspected Fibromyalgia, but I now decided I want to stop taking this medication due to the addictiveness nature, as not sure if Pregablin is working?

Over the last week I have dropped my medication to 75 mg 1 pill a day, instead of 2 and so far feel ok.

What is the recommend amount to drop down by a week, should I speak to my GP about a reduction dose plan.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you are prone to depression then my advice is to take it as slow as you can. Depression is a very real withdrawal effect when coming off these. I was on them for 10 days, stopped cold turkey and went through hell. Different for everyone, but this is a well documented phenomenon.

Take care.

• Posted

Cheers Matt many thanks for this.

I have self medicated down this week and I feel I can think a bit clearer etc than the week before.

Though really want these outta my system over the coming months.

• Posted

Slow and steady wins the withdrawal race nesty! Never forget that.... and as nimiumvini has rightly said below, your body will let you know and never ignore it.

One think I have for you that will REALLY cheer you up is if you search for "andy bailey pregabalin" and find his videos during his withdrawal - especially the one where his is walking through the woods - it is HILARIOUS! But he is absolutely spot on with what he says.

Trust me - find them now and I guarantee you will return to them again a few times!! 😃

• Posted

Hi Nesty,

I also have started a reduction of my pregabalin medication , again because of the addictive nature of the product. I was on pregabalin for peripheral neuropathy. I have reduced my dosage from 375 mg per day (225 mg AM and 150 mg PM) and I started the reduction with reducing the AM dosage to 150 mg. I have been on the new dosage for two months and no problem. I feel that I want to keep on reducing the AM dosage to zero, but not until the new year. I feel that it is always better to reduce these meds slowly and I mentioned it to the doctor. It is your body and you will generally know what is best, but thats not to say ignore advice from wherever. Good Luck.

Merry Xmas

• Posted

Thanks for the messages and advice, sounds like it's wise to take it slowly then.

I am not a massive rush!

Merry Christmas to you both.

• Posted

Hello all, I am new to this forum, I have Fibromyalgia and take Pregablin, I have been taking them for the last 8 months having swapped over from Gabapentin that did not suit me. As with others with fibro, I am fatigued, have poor sleep, lots of pain, dry mouth, clumsy, sweats, weight gain, brain fog, lack of concentration and the list goes on, along with depression.

I spoke to my GP before Christmas to agree at my request to start to reduce from the 150mg Pregabin at night and 50mg during the day if required. The side affects are increasing and that is not helping my depression, the side affects are also the symptoms of fibro, I do not need any more.

As discussed with GP, I reduced to 125 mgs every other night, and 150 mgs on the other days.

I now have added insomnia, on occasion before pregablin I had it, but maybe an hour or so, once every now and then. For the last couple of months, it has been 3,4 or 5 am before I get to sleep, and I am working full time, so this is having more of an impact on my life.

I also discussed with my GP CBD oil, she was not very keen on my taking it, I spoke to a pharmacist advised it should be ok to take if I am reducing my pregablin, so I am taking that daily. It has only been a few days so not sure how effective that will be on pain.

I have been scanning and reading lots of info on coming off pregablin and there have been several suggestions to take some supplements of magnesium to reduce headaches and restlessness, melatonin to enhance sleep, Rhodiola rosea to reduce fatigue and lethagy, L-tyrosine to improve sleep, and a few more.

The anti depressant I am on is, Sunveniz XL 150 mg prolonged release, I have been on these for about 5 months, the previous anti depressants stopped working, so this is my 3 type in 12 months. I had got to the stage last year of not crying and feeling low as I had before, I just felt nothing and could not be bothered to do anything except lie in bed all weekend, and straight from work. My diet became poor, eating lots of sweet things, had a blood test and was told by the nurse in not a very understanding way, well, now you have diabetes as well. I did not care, it did not change my views on eating rubbish, or not eating at all, what was the point??

So, the anti depressants finally started to kick in around November last year, mood not very stable but improved to about a 4-5 out of 10, so on the mend.

Now I am beginning to think a little clearer, I need to stop the pregablin, after 2 weeks alternating between 125 and 150 mgs, I am now taking 100 mgs at night, for the last 5 nights. I have been suffering with headaches and insomnia, along with an increase in pain.

Honestly, I do not know where to start with it, has anyone any experience of taking any supplements? Have they helped? What would you suggest starting with?

Thanks in advance for your replies, this seems like a very supportive and positive, honest forum.

Jayne

• Posted

Hi Jayne,

Happy New Year you certainly have had a few things going on and I extend to you all my sympathy. I have been reducing my dependence on pregabalin for other reasons which are not important, however, the only comment I would wish to make is that either going onto or coming off drugs or even reducing their drugs does not happen in a few days more like a few months. I have reduced a high dependency on pregabalin of 225 in the morning and 150 in the evening to 150 in the morning and the same 150 in the evening. I have been doing this over the last two/three months and it honestly took this time for me to move on to further reduce the pregabalin in the morning to 100mg. I want to bring the morning dosage of pregabalin to zero in the morning and I can anticipate this will take at least a further six months.

Good luck to us both and I remind everyone we own our own bodies and sometimes we know best:-)

• Posted

Hi Jayne,

CBD Oil may well help you, but make sure you get the right stuff. There are so many vendors making a quick buck selling olive oil. Make sure that what you have comes from a seller who has a certified test done within the last 12 months showing the % of content and that it matches +/- 1% of the stated level. Also remember that you can move up on the dose from 5% through 25%, but it gets costly. Doubling up on the 5% does equate to a small dose of a higher spectrum, despite what some people might tell you.

I can understand about your diet, but you must understand that this will not help your mood. Magnesium must be taken in small doses - anything more than a few mg over the daily limit and it will cause more anxiety, unless you have a shown deficiency. Rhodiola Rosea may or may not work. For some it makes anxiety worse, for others it is a miracle cure, so start at a low dose and work your way up.

I have been through so many medications over the last 2 years and now after 6 months on natural products I am better than I have been in all of that time.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Matt

• Posted

Jayne,

I have sent you a PM as my reply has been flagged to be moderated and I have no idea why. I am one message away from quitting this place. I try to help people and they stop you writing.

ADMINS - get yourselves together and let us help people!

• Edited

I also want to get off pregabalin, which I was originally prescribed for generalized anxiety, and I'm finding it not very effective, which make the side effects not worth it- but I have been worried about withdrawal symptoms, as I was also taking Duloxetine (Cymbalta) which had to be stopped over Xmas cold turkey, due to Serotonin syndrome developing. My experience of withdrawal then was horrendous (even though my GP says withdrawal isn't a problem!) and I've been told those from Pregabalin are even worse. At the moment, I take 150mg morning and evening. I know it's important to go very slowly, but what dose reduction is least likely to cause severe withdrawal symptoms, and do withdrawal symptoms resolve once an initial reduction has been stabilized?

• Edited

Cymbalta withdrawal is no joke, and very frightening. If you still have problems, you should Google for the forum, which is simply cymbaltawithdrawal.

Pregabalin is an off-label drug for anxiety - it is not supposed to work well for all. Regarding withdrawal, the slower the better. But do not take every other day, or different doses over 2 days to make another dose (eg 100mg day 1 and 50mg day 2 to make 75mg) as this will cause more problems due to the very short half life. I think they are available in 100, 75, 50 and 25 so you should be fine dropping in 25 intervals and if things get THAT bad, you can get a liquid to measure out smaller doses towards the end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.