Prejudice about recommending bowel surgery to schizophrenics

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am in something of a quandry, I read on google that while there are about 100 operations available for prolapse, just one operation doesn't often do the trick, and two can be more successful, statistically.  However I have a problem in that the Consultant is unwilling to send me for a second op, even though this might put things right, as she has latched onto the fact that I am a schizophrenic and is taking a biased approach and trying to tell me that my symptoms are "behavioural" despite my frequent protestations that they are simply not and I am responding to a purely biological need to open my bowels, way to frequently.  I have put up with these prejudices for over four years, what do i do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is pointless telling me to get a second opinion as I already have as the last one had prejudices just the same and was just as bad.
    • Posted

Well, from the lack of response it seems everyone else has been silenced on the subject of prejudice in rank and file medicine?
    • Posted

However I KNOW it hasn't only happened to me from talking to other patients and what my common sense screams at me about the facts of life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.