Priapism: How to avoid or prevent night time erections?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hey all,

I have been living with priapism for over 5 years now and although it has settled down, but not completely.

My main issue right now is I am getting continuous erections at night daily with most days resulting in a wet dream. These erections are not due to sexual thoughts but because of priapism. I have no symptoms during the day.

Do you know if there is anything I can do to prevent these daily erections? Like eating any specific food or performing any particular stretching or exercise before sleep?

Any kind of help would be much appreciated.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

try eating stuff with anti oxidants. like blueberries.

also eat lean meat instead of red meat. like bacon and ham.

this are ways to keep stress low. but I hope it helps u as well

• Edited

Thank you indiske for looking into my post and replying. I will surely focus on anti oxidants and reducing stress. In terms of meat, I am vegetarian so that won't apply to me.

• Edited

Apologies all, as I forgot to add in my post that by night time I meant during sleep. It seems I cannot edit the post so posting the edit here.

• Edited

Hi there, erections at night time are important for the health of your penis. Have you had an erecting lasting longer than 4 hours, If that is not your case; why are you worried?

• Edited

My night time erections are mainly due to settled/inactive priapism. When I had priapism 5 years back, I didn't know what it was and I was going through a very difficult period. Because I only saw GPs and doctors after priapism settled, I haven't got any help I am looking for.

It would be great to know if there is a way to completely avoid sleep erections.

I understand that sleep erections are healthy but for me they do not go down, have to wake up and disturbs my sleep. And then falling back to sleep again is difficult for me.

Any kind of help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited

Do you know what caused the priapism originally? Do you have any other health issues? Are you taking any medication? And finally have you consulted a urologist and an endocrinologist more recently?

Sorry it's questions rather than answers but depending on whether there are any other related or otherwise issues maybe someone else will have some suggestions.

• Edited

Thank you for your reply mate, sorry I did not see your reply before.

I think my priapism is caused by panic attacks I had in 2018, which lasted 4 months or so.

To answer your other questions, no I do not take any medications.

I recently saw a urologist and he recommended flow rate and residue test, however I am sure that it won't help, as there is blood trapped somewhere at the base of the penis. My active bladder just triggers it, however it is not the cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.