Problems taking ferrous fumarate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm new here. I'm a 30yr old female. I've been told by my GP I need ferrous fumarate and I need to take it 3 times a day - but I'm taking Levothyroine and Liothyronine for thyroid. I have got a few concerns with taking the ferrous fumarate and have come on here for advice.

​1. My ferritin is currently 19 (15 - 150) and my MCV is 78.1fL (80 - 90) red blood cell count, white blood cell count etc. is all in range. Is this iron deficiency anaemia?

​2. My current period started off light and has now gone extremely heavy. It has also left me feeling tired, dizzy, breathless, weak and cold. My peridods are always heavy and have never been light before. Are these symptoms from the lack of iron?

​3. I get digestive problems when taking the ferrous fumarate. It dries out my mouth, has made me vomit and my stomach cramps after I take it. I have tried taking it with vitamin C and fruit juice but this doesnt help. What is it I'm doing wrong?

​4. I am aware I need to leave 4 hours for taking the Levothyroxine but does the same apply to Liothyronine because this is thyroid hormone replacement?

​Thank you

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I wasted anyone's time. I don't seem to have posted this on the right forum.
  • Posted

Hi Sammi

Your not wasting anyone's time at all.  I've been taking ferrous fumerate until recently due to iron deficiency.  It really played havoc with my bowels and tummy, luckily it has restored my iron to normal levels and I have now stopped taking it.  

I hope it works for you too.  I can't comment on thyroid issues as I don't have any experince in that area but I send you my very best wishes.

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Sorry just seen your post.

1. You have non-iron deficiency anaemia

2. No your period symptoms are not neccessarily from lack of iron. My periods vary in heaviness and it's not related to whether I am iron deficient (ferritin level or haemoglobin level). In fact it's my periods which cause the iron deficiency.  So you need to take the iron every day and preferably as the doctor has prescribed it.

3. No what you experience is normal, which is why the packets list these as issues. 

I have been advised to take the last one of the day before you go to bed. if you sleep quickly then you shouldn't get pains though you will need to use the toilet in the morning.

The only other thing I've been told is to try taking the ones in the day with meals. However then you need to make sure you eat meals where what you eat doesn't interact with the iron.

It got to a stage where I could only face taking the last one at night for a couple of days as my stomach was too sore.  I then went back to the 3 times a day.

4. Fortunately I don't have a thyroid problem.

Finally as it's your ferritin level that's the issue be aware that it will take months to get it back up to a reasonable level.  If your hair is falling out or has thinned you want it to get it to at least half way in the range to stop it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.