Problems with ramipril

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,been taking ramipril 2.5mg for 5 months now and feel so crappy! No work for past 6 weeks and I'm self employed! I'm also on clopidogrel and asprin and lansoprazole and folic acid.had a stent put in in February after heart attack . Feel like I'm in another world!,depressed,anxious,clammy skin,muscle and joint pain. ,jaw pain stomach pain,back pain ,feel faint, go hot and cold ! I'm so fed up trying to get myself sorted. Any suggestions PLEASE!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve, sorry to hear of your medical problems.

How did you feel before you went on Rampiril and was it the last med. you started taking?

Did the same GP/Consultant prescribe all the other meds?

It seems like you need to see the GP/consultant and go through each med. to see if some are interacting with others.

• Posted

Steve, Over the years I have tried Ramipril twice.  On the first occasion I became very ill within a couple of weeks, eventually being diagnosed with a long term inflammatory condition affecting all the large muscles.  On the second occasion, more recently, I was cajoled into giving it another go by a renal consultant who said it was the best drug for kidneys.  I reluctantly tried it again but pleaded to be taken off it after a month or so as I just didin't feel well, fleeting head pain and nausea being among the side effects.

If you have only been feeling "crappy" since commencing the Ramipril then perhaps you should ask to be switched to another BP drug.

I doubt you would be having such side effects from the clopidogrel and aspirin as I know several people on these meds (including my son) and they don't have any discernible side effects.

As far as the muscle and joint pain is concerned, if I were you I would investigate the Lansoprazole - it can cause joint and muscle pain, stomach pain and chills.  I was unable to tolerate a spell on Lansoprazole (or it's cousin, Omeprazole), with one causing a severe bowel reaction and the other causing stomach pain.  Perhaps Zantac would be better for you.  If you are taking the Lansoprazole for esophagus/stomach problems, have you tried taking a 'live' probiotic yoghurt instead.  That worked a treat for me, plus a feew squeezes of lemon juice in warm water at the start of the day (some people drink it before each meal with good effect).  Also, Manuka honey, though expensive, can also help with any esophagus/gastric reflux problems, as well as many other conditions.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on, especially with a change of BP medication.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi am interested in your comment regarding lemon and warm water as I was told to shy away from citrus fruit? How does it work please?
    • Posted

Hi Kaz

It really depends why you have been told to "shy away from citrus fruit" - have you got a severe acid reflux problem perhaps?

Although lemon is an acid fruit, it turns alkaline in the body, and some sufferers have found that it helps with their digestive problems if they take a small amount in warm water before each main meal.

• Posted

Hi Steve I would see your GP and stop taking ramipril. I stopped taking it after only 3 weeks due to awful side effects , severe headache, tinnitus, anxiety, panic attacks and like you I was unable to work as I felt so awful. Hope it gets sorted for you.
  • Posted

Hi Steve

Also had heart A about 10 weeks ago, and had a stent put and now  on a shed load of tablets, been a constant battle with the doctor,have managed to get some changed but feel like it's a constant battle!! and completely understand how ya feeling, been really breathless, and not been unable to walk due to feeling quite wobby on me feet, up untill the point I had the hear attack,yes i was really overweight,smoking heavily and not exercising, and not eating a healthy diet (all bad!!!) but I always had good sugar levels,good blood pressure, and not to bad chloestral (hard to believe!!)now a complete change of lifestyle,strict diet,no smoking etc, but so many sympton like yourself, all test come back great and I mean great!!!, I have stopped taking some of the tablets due to side effects(would not recommend without docs advice)obviously not clopidrgel(was taking tricarelor but changed) as for stent, aspirin for life,been reducing Bisoprolol on doc advise and laboured breathing improved greatly and rampapril (which he want s me to retake and I will (more side effects!!!) I argue the points that I have never had high or low pressure his arguement, they have other benefits. Also stopped taking Antorstatin (chlorestol) as pain in joint!!) even tried lower dose,

I feel exactly the same as you mate,still loads of other side effects

Hang in there mate

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.