Prolactin symptoms?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I've been having various hormone tests done due to a slew of odd symptoms and have got several high prolactin results back (it's pushing 1000). I've had an MRI which showed a microadenoma. The thing is, I was initially being investigated for Cushings, as I have all the symptoms of that- characteristic weight gain and puffy neck/face, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, stretch marks, sweats- and none of the classic prolactin issues like irregular periods or breast issues. Are there other prolactin symptoms which get glossed over in patient info, due to the medical world's fixation on fertility? (For reference I am in the UK, 28, and female, with 0 interest in having a family at any point.)

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I can't answer your direct question but can make a general observation: an adenoma on your pituitary affects its operation in odd ways. Your pituitary switches on and off a range of hormones in addition to prolactin and cortisol, so it it is malfunctioning the effects can be seen elsewhere. In other words, your high prolactin is a symptom of a faulty pituitary, not the disease.

May I advise you to contact the Pituitary Foundation (UK and IE) or your national association. Full disclosure: I am a member because I found a lot of help there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.