Propranolol for palpitations, blood pressure and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been prescribed 10 mgs of Propranolol to be taken up to 3 times a day. Have had the onset of  ectopic beats and flutterings since Nov 2016, due to a very stressful few months. Suffered them from time to time over the years, but they normally go away after awhile. However this time they've hung around making me highly anxious, causing my blood pressure to spike, can be 90/124 over 60/80 in the morning, and spike up to 159/90 in the afternoon, can always tell  when it's up as I feel very heady. Have had a few ecgs plus a 24 hour monitor that showed up some  ectopics, but was told not to worry, easier said than done. Also had a 24 hour Blood pressure monitor and blood pressure overall was about 124/80 which was considered normal. However, as I monitor my blood pressure at home, I've noticed it still can spike up to about 155/90, which frightens me because I think of strokes. My doctor thinks  I'm just a worrier and keeps  telling me it's all anxiety related. He has now prescribed the above to help with the palpitations and anxiety. I've started off on 1 a day, and increased to 2 a day over the last 5 days. It was 99/66 at lunchtime today, thought this was low so thought I won't have one today. However tonight it was 160/95, making me anxious, so took one immediately. Feeling very stressed about it all which is not helping at all.. Wonder if anyone here is taking propranolol for the same issues. I'm not overweight and keep fit and don't suffer palpitations when I exercise, so flummoxed by it all. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry I've rambled. Addie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Sounds like the exact same problem as myself although ECG detected a heart murmur and been suffering ever since November 2014 and doctors still clueless. I told them I can't rule anxiety as i was in a stressful relationship with an anxiety suffer at the time. I found propanalol slowed me down too much I just wanted to sleep.... which was no good when I had to drive 1 hr 20 mins round trip to take my son to school and go to work. I'm now on a new drug which is 2.5mg and apparently has less side effects! I'm still unsure about it though at the moment. On been on them 8 days

• Posted

I guess it's trial and error with these medications, they all seem to have side effects from what I've read. Hope the medication works for you. I have terrible bouts of anxiety and it plays havoc with my health. Stress/anxiety  is so bad for the heart, I really need to get a grip on it. I will continue with the propranolol, as it has slowed done the fluttering and ectopics. I'm going to stick with 2 a day and see how it goes. Have you had to have treatment for the murmur?

• Posted

It's just been monitored every 12 months so not that severe. 2 cardiologists have both said the symptoms are something different. The most recent tablet I was prescribed is bisoprolol fumerate but just made the decision to come off them too. There as to be an alternative surely? And when I say alternative I mean alternative. Good luck with the propanolol. Be interested to know in time if the side effects do subside. Keep me posted.

Steve

• Edited

At least you're been monitored which is reassuring. I've heard of bisoprolol, unfortunately I think they all have some side effects. Like yourself, I'm not too keen on being on long term medication, natural alternatives sits better with me. Controlling the stress and anxiety levels is my priority,and not worrying constantly what my heart is doing, I seem to get fixated about any sensation that I'm feeling. My blood pressure was perfect yesterday, so didn't take them. Will definitely keep you posted. The best to you. Addie.

• Posted

i have had similar experiences. If you don't get palpitations during exercise your prognosis is likely to be reassuring. I have read so many peer reviewed studies and studied people's experiences telling me this along with my cardiologist confirming all this to be true. I took propanalol for anxiety and ended up with terrible palpitations and many trips to the hospital....I am just coming off them now and hoping they go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.