Propranolol withdrawal: how long did it last for you?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am in my third week of not using propranolol and yes, I did wean off. However, because it caused me a lot of bad things( I was allergic to it and didn't know about it), I do have withdrawal symptoms. I have read a lot of posts, where some people were free of any withdrawal and some suffering till like 7/8 week after, even with weaning off. Some could finally exercise freely after 3,5 months. I was told by a lady in ECG department that for the heart to come back to normal (after propranolol ) could take 3-6 months. I took 40 mg/once per day for about 4 months. The doctor suggested that my acid reflux was caused by me being anxious, even if I explained that I am not and acid reflux did cause my heart palpitations. At the time I trusted this health expert and somehow in his mind he was just trying to help me. However, if Doctors would listen to their patients more instead of ignoring what's being said... I, at least, would not suffer for such a long time. And my own stupidity and trust also led me there. Of course, nobody explained to me how bad this medication was and the consequences of using it. I found out later...

Anyway, what I experience is a standard I think for anyone with withdrawal:

1.Heart palpitations when standing, when walking too fast, exercising, they wake you up at night.. etc...etc...etc

2.Chest pains- small not lasting for a long time

3.Feeling anxious about my health

4.Irritated

5.Tinnitus sometimes

6. Visits to A&E for them to confirm that your ECG is normal.

I'll add also that I finished a 72 hours heart monitoring to check if my heart is alright. Still awaiting the results.

Please feel free to share your story and do tell when you stopped experiencing withdrawal symptoms finally. It gives hope ❤️

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.