Prostate pain around every 6 months after operation ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Around 3 years ago this September I had a radical prostatectomy (prostate removed) due to cancer in the prostate area. It was removed and I was told that a small border of cancer was left behind, my consultant said that he would have liked it to have been zero but it was a small level so not to worry.

Recovery went fine and well but around 6 months later and roughly every 6 months I get a dull nagging pain that appears to come from the prostate area. I spoke to my urology department (NHS Barnstaple, UK and they said it was nothing to worry about as it is just things settling down.

My biggest worry at the moment is that I am still getting this pain around 3 years later (once around every 6 months) and I am a little concerned that something, maybe cancer could be starting to grow in that area or in my bones.

I have been on a PSA tracker system where I get a PSA done every 3 months and it always comes back at a non recordable level 00001 but I am aware that PSA’s are not wholly reliable.

Has anyone else experienced an aching pain after an operation like this, very infrequently though and what advice or course of action did they take. For me it happens in the night whilst I’m sleeping and goes away after around an hour.

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A bit more detail:

Originally I had a raised PSA of 12 with no symptoms. Then a biopsy and MRI scans were done.

The MRI showed a 40cc prostate. PIRAD 5 lesion in left peripheral zone with capsular bulging with T3a disease and targeted and standard transperineal prostate biopsies were taken.

Following my prostate (DA Vinci robotic surgery) removal my Gleason level was "3+4=7 prostate cancer, PT2C only 1 surgical margin postoperative at the apex"

I was then put onto a 3 monthly PSA tracker and should my PSA become a recordable level of 0.05 ug/L then prostate bed radiotherapy would be considered.

My PSA is continuing to remain unrecordable at a level of around <0.01

After my operation I was told by my consultant that my margins were positive but very minimal, I don’t think measurements were spoken about.

I did contact my urology department and was told it was just the operation site settling down and nothing to worry about.

I may return to my doctor in future if I continue to get a very infrequent pain in the area that was operated on.

Thank you for your advice and good luck everyone.

• Posted

Actually I have found that the measurements were given to me which were "maximum length of positivity 1mm. Gleason 3+4 adenocarninoma with focal involvement of apical margin" .

• Posted

I am sorry for your pain.

Undetectable PSA ie <0.001 is great news. It is highly doubtful you have cancer.

The pain you describe may be related to the bladder, kidney. or maybe gastroenterological.

There may be a few steps involved in investigating your pain. Let's focus on Step #1.

Step #1 is to get your GP to refer you for a "KUB study".

This is a kidney, ureter, and bladder study is an X-ray study that allows your doctor to assess the organs of your urinary and gastrointestinal systems. This helps the doctor diagnose urinary disorders and causes of abdominal pain.

• Posted

I do not think its cancer, it may be infection. I am having the same problem with my tooth a filling was put in and it hurts every few months. Infections grow inside and outside the body and the first sign is nagging pain.

• Posted

In case it has not been mentioned, try amitriptyline for bladder or scrotum pain. In high doses it is an anti depressant but in low doses eg 10 mg a day it works well to treat urological pain. Did for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.