Protein in urine with Chronic Kidney Disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

I ws just wondering if anyone has protein in there urine with Chronic Kidney Disease and what did your doctor do about it if anything.  I am trying to keep my GFR stable.  The last time it went up a bit but am worried about the protein causing more damage quicker.  Any info would be appretiated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yeah, I think it is pretty standard to have that if you have active disease. Not sure what the cause of your disease is, but if they can get it under control the proteins typically go down.
    • Posted

My nephrologist never worked really hard to find out the cause of my disease but assumed it was from to much advil all my life. (took it for migraines).  No High blood pressure, no diabetes,  no other reason really.  The protein showed up recently.  They are not telling me anything to do.  I am sure my doctor was at the bottom of his class to become a doctor.  sad
  • Posted

Hi Rhonda,

I became aware of protein in February this year. I knew something wasn't right and was causing constant pain and infection and I kept trying to tell the doctors. Blood test were not showing anything so I resorted to buying some test sticks and keeping a diary with dated photos of the positive dipstick tests.

If I had need to visit my GP I would take a urine sample along.

Eventually they listened and referred me for scans. These showed that my right kidney was totally non functioning and had basically 'died'. I was then referred to an Urologist....two weeks ago I was operated on and had my kidney removed so I am currently recovering from the operation.

Removal of the kidney is not standard but each case is looked at and a decision made...in my case it was removed due to pain. As yet it is too early to say if the operation has been a success as I am still very bruised and swollen post-op.

• Posted

Did they say if your other kidney was functioning well or not?  I hope that is the only thing you need to do to recover. 
    • Posted

My left kidney is functioning okay at the moment however it does have some small cysts due to doing the work of two.

Hopefully it will continue working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.