psychiatrist advice..

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know the process for getting a psychiatrist ? I don't feel my gps have a good knowledge of dealing with anxiety and the meds available or the other options..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

In my experience you either have to ask for a referral by your GP or you could go private.  The waiting list is really long via your GP (well it is in our area).  When my son was ill with this, he couldn't work for 4 months and had to wait to be seen by a professional.  I paid for him to see a therapist twice whilst we waited, but he wasn't keen.  I also fought for him to be seen in other ways too - he never saw the same person twice which upset him as he needed to build their trust and he was pushed from pillar to post.  It came to a head one day when my son couldn't take anymore and tried to take drastic action.  He was immediately seen and from then on was seen weekly by the professionals.  I was an emotional wreck by this time and so angry it had taken this course of action to be seen.  He has since made a full recovery on his meds and is now off them and back to normal 😔

I've seen a few doctors for myself in the past who were useless regarding this, but did find 1 or 2 who were absolute treasures.  I do feel anxiety, depression etc is vastly underrated and isn't taken as 'serious' a lot of the time.

Where's my soapbox......

• Posted

Thanks, I didn't realise ur GP can refer you?

• Posted

If you feel your GP is not helping you in leading you to a proper pathway to treat your condition, go on the NHS CHOICES web page and look up your Practice, check each Partner and see which on has an interest in Mental Health Matters. There should be a Partner or salaried Doctor who will have an interest. It is quite normal these days to use different GPs in Practice for other complaints.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.