Pulsatile tinnitus that my husband can hear

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I am wondering if anybody has experienced anything similar. I'm going out of my mind with worry after spending far too long looking my symptoms up on the internet (I know).

I'm a 40 yr old woman, good health. No real problems. Back in October I had a headache for 2 weeks and developed pulsatile tinnitus. Went to GP who checked me over and ordered a CT scan. A few days after this I realised the symptoms I felt were similar to when I had sinusitis. I related this in a phone call to GP, he prescribed antibiotics for a few days and all my symptoms went. I had the CT scan a few days after completing the antibiotics and all was clear.

Fast forward to last week...over Christmas and new year, I noticed that the pulsatile tinnitus had started again. My husband can hear it when he places his ear next to mine when I'm lying down and I have also managed to record it. When I am out and about or there is background noise I don't notice the pulsing but as soon as it's quiet or I'm in bed I can hear it.

Saw an uninterested GP who reluctantly checked my ears (clear), listened to my neck (no bruit), BP normal. Have been referred to ENT but I'm so frightened. Everything I've read suggests that objective pulsatile tinnitus is a vascular problem.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Is there anything else I can ask for from the GP? I got unlucky with the one I saw as most of them at my practice are super helpful and empathetic.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

hello ,it is sometimes heard by others ,quite odd ,Your husband must think he has it too .

You are probably stuck with it .I have had bog standard tinnitus for 12----ish years ,and silence

makes it sound like a cave full of bats .I sleep with Radio 4 , voices rather than music You may be given a rather busy test ,Checking your balance ,hearing and one or two other bits , I had a CT scan ,and a MRI

the noise from that machine is good enough to start T,T My G, P solves ALL my body problems ,by telling me "It's my age, or arthritis " Who am I to argue !!!!! Stop worrying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.