Question for the swimmers......

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello fellow hipsters,

I am coming up on 5 weeks after anterior RTHR. Before I was a keen swimmer, doing 1 km a couple of times a week. Hydrotherapy has me on my back with gentle kicks. I went to my local pool this am with the kids and did a few laps on my back and all my exercises. Wanted to do more but need to check what's the best approach.

Just wondering when others resumed normal kicking on their front?

Thanks.

🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Georgie

Greetings on another non summery morning ....

Hope you and partner are doing something nice this weekend...

Swimming. OK you'll get the 'be very careful' folk here and then me saying I started swimming g with usual breast stroke at 6 weeks. Gently tho, no racing at top speed!

Some folk say no breast stroke...but that's wot I do...!!

Enormous big hug

Mic

Xx

• Posted

Oh mic! You may have made my day!!

thats my favourite stroke, and all I've read is no no !! I can't wait to get back in the pool now!

linzi x

• Posted

Hi Georgie

I was given the ok to go swimming at 4 weeks, but advised not to go out of my depth in case I got leg cramps and not to do breaststroke legs.  I started with 10 lengths of front crawl and spent the rest of the time doing my exercises in the water - which is much easier than on dry land.  The second and third times I went I did 20 lengths of crawl plus exercises.  I'm now 10 weeks post op but haven't tried breaststroke still - haven't asked if it is ok - I'm still having physio sessions to build up muscle strength.  Also I haven't been swimming for a few weeks now because other stuff has got in the way. 

Front crawl is my preferred stroke anyway, but I ended up having to apologise to other swimmers in the 50+ swim sessions that I wasn't doing the sedate breaststoke swim that the others were doing!  

As you were such a keen swimmer before, all I would say is that give crawl a gentle go - you won't be able to go as fast or as long to begin with, but if I can do 10 lengths first off, not having been for 2 years, I'm sure you can manage a bit more proper swimming.

Happy splashing!

regards

Cheryl 

• Posted

Hi Georgie!

Like you, I'm 5 weeks out and love the water. Rather than swimming, I have been doing lots of walking in the pool and all of my exercises. I find the extra buoyancy and resistance allow me to do this without pain but still feeling like I'm positively impacting my recovery. I hadn't heard that we weren't supposed to do regular swim-kicking, so I'm interested in what others say. Keep up the good work!

• Posted

Right then that's done it, I'm going to the pool in the morning, give some swimming a go......

gentle.....of course !!

• Posted

Go Georgie go! Rest up, and go again!

After the sun the rain, after the rain the sun!

Luv

Mic

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.