Questions about hsv1 and hsv2

Posted , 7 users are following.

So i was diagnosed with HSV1 which I’m certain was from my bf and he is prone to cold sores. Although I couldn’t see a cold sore on his mouth or down below, I started having symptoms the day after we had unprotected sex and oral sex (only performed on me). I thought it was friction and sensitivity at first, but how wrong I was! However, I was concerned that I may have contracted in from a previous (and only other) partner, but I had not been sexually active for 4 years before dating my current bf and I had no symptoms prior to him. Plus I don’t think my previous partner had cold sores and my healthcare provider said it is most likely from my current bf as I had symptoms the day after.. But now i’m super confused because my bf is saying he has a reddish white dot (flat - basically under the skin) down there, which he doesn’t think he’s had before. it also looks kinda dry. We have not been sexually active since my diagnosis a couple of months ago. So i just have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer!!!

1. Is it possible my boyfriend could have genital HSV1 although he has had cold sores since childhood? And we haven’t been sexually active since I was diagnosed.

2. My results (which were swabs) came back negative for HSV2, but could this of been wrong? Can you get HSV1 and HSV2 in the same place at the same time? I know you can get either in the mouth or genitals. but can you get BOTH down there at the same time. I know hsv can be asymptomatic, so what if I had HSV2 all this time and thats what i’ve given him?? Not sure if thats my paranoia.

3. Could his cold sores actually be HSV2 which he contracted as a child, meaning he would have given be HSV1 from penetrated sex (meaning the dots are a HSV1 outbreak?)

4. Although I have genital HSV1 can I still get it in other places? I keep checking my mouth and i’m getting paranoid about everything

5. Although we were sex and oral (and sometimes unprotected) for a year why have I only just contracted HSV1 now?

sorry for the long post, but I though it'd be best to ask on here rather than scaling the internet for hours. thank you 😃

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Firstly, I would like to say I am not medical personnel. However, I have done a lot of research about herpes. Mostly, from accredit Terri Warren RN. Westover heights is a great reference for any herpes questions. You could log on to her question forums and see a lot of the answers to the questions you asked.

1.It is very unlikely to have HSV 1 in both locations its very rare. Terri states that after an established oral infection it is extremely unlikely to get a genital infection.

2.I think that’s most likely your paranoia. You can have both. Usually HSV 2 genital outbreaks are not as extreme due to previous HSV1 infection. I know if you have HSV2 it protects you against HSV 1. Swab tests do sometimes miss infections due to amount of shedding and when you got the swab. However, I would say to get a blood test for HSV 2 to calm your nerves.

3.Possibly but from what I have read that would be a rare occurrence.

4.Again, rare once you have an established infection in one place you would rarely get it in another unless you were infected in both places at once.

5.Transmission from what I have read takes awhile it all depends when you shed the virus and so forth.

So, sometimes you could have had the virus for years and never show symptoms they say

Honestly, I think you are worrying a lot about something that does not need to be a concern. Facts, He has an established HSV1 oral infection, you have a HSV1 genital infection. A red whitish flat bump does not sound like herpes. Did it change and ulcer and scab? If no. I think anxiety got you a little bit. Herpes lesions usually are not underneath the skin. Its more of a water blister on top of your skin.

PS. I would not hold off sex I understand that is frustrating and scary but if you both have HSV1 you are fine. More then 50% of the US population has HSV1. Who cares resume your life and don’t worry about this.

HSV or herpes is a skin condition that usually gets better with time. It’s a shame the stigma attached to it. I hope this helps.

Reference: https://westoverheights.com/herpes-questions/

• Posted

How is it rare after an established oral infection to get it genitally? Can you explain that im curious now

• Edited

like I said I am not a medical professional but, since your body already has antibodies for HSV it would be rare to be infected in other areas but, that only goes for the same type of HSV. not oral HSV1 and Genital HSV 2.

Quote, "HSV 1 is rarely active in the genitals of most adults. And you can have sex with someone who has ever in their life had a cold sore as they also have HSV 1 and are highly unlikely to get it in a new location on their body"

References: https://westoverheights.com/forum/question/ghsv1-5/

• Posted

wow thank you so much. although you state you're not a medical expert your words and answers have made me feel better. google does terrible things to your head.

thank you for taking the time to respond to each question

• Posted

it does. i have spent many days worrying myself and letting this consume me. hope you can relax and move forward !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.