Questions about malar rash

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I’m seeing a doctor in a few weeks  for an ANA to check for lupus and wanted to know if It was worth mentioning the redness in my face. Does a malar rash get redder at times? The redness gets worse if it’s hot or if I’ve handled my skin too harshly. “Harshly” as in anything less than the gentlest of touches. Sometimes it gets red and really hot and painful. It doesn’t seem like a malar rash to me, but it’s in the typical butterfly fashion of one. I’ve had it for years and thought it was just something that came along with the acne I had at the time. My face is clear now with just the occasional breakout but I still have the redness. It shows up even under makeup, very annoying. Sometimes it’s just pink. Sorry for freaking out so much I’m just nervous and hoping I don’t have lupus.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I know of course no one can tell without seeing what it looks like, but if it sounds like something you know of I’d appreciate any information (:
  • Posted

Hi there, 

If you don't mind answering, are you based in the uk ( if not where are you based? if not in uk which county? also what makes the rash increase or even decrease > xxx 

sounds like a lot of questions I know but trust me, it's the little things you can spot that cause the rashes that make the difference x 

ANA tests and the presance of a rash (even in a buterfly pattern) does does mean Lupus so try not to worry x - If you don't mind what were the symptoms and the reasons you went to the Gp xx I may be able to shed some light for me for you xx 

Looking up Lupus and having even a few of the symtoms can be worriying x Is there a reason (apart fom the rash that caused you to worry about the rash ? I have have a colourful and difficult health past, but have learnt alot along the way x alot of helpful advice for Lupus from good sensible people on this website x 

the rash wither its from Lupus or not is always scary x This is my Lupus rash at the worst in an attack and the others are when its slighty better x and most recently (picture I have no foundation xxx something I never thought I would ever do again x 

• Posted

Sorry, never been to the uk, would love to visit though haha. I’m based in US.

Heat in general makes the rash get redder whether it’s water or weather.

Sometimes after I’ve washed my face it gets really red and hot and painful... not fun.

I haven’t actually been sent for an ANA yet as I’ve yet to find a doctor who takes me seriously.  My mom is the one who wants me to get an ANA, she has lupus and says my symptoms match up. 

Symptoms are; joint pain, fatigue, stomach pain and horrible neck and headaches among other things I’m too sleep deprived to think of at the moment.

My neck and head hurt 100% of the time, never stopping.

Been going on for 4 years and none of the doctors take it seriously as I’m young and otherwise healthy.

Thank you for the information and reply, your pictures are lovely by the way.

• Posted

your mom is right x the ANA is worth doing - try and get a test done when you feel ill ! 

Make sure you keep a food/sleep/symptom diary - to help the Dr's see the history and you see any food /life triggers. 

Also I found that a pure aloe vera gel helped the heat of the rash - and daily vit E and coco butter as a moisturiser. 

Hope it goes well

xxx 

• Posted

I have lupus and my symptoms are similar to yours. I have cutaneous lupus with nervous system involvement and my doctors tested also for sjorgrens as the malaria rash is identical and the perypherical muscle pain as well.

My advice to you is: note down every detail /symptom you feel and ask your doctors about any doubts you have . Let them you. Be patient. Take care X

• Posted

A malar rash can appear with other conditions. To confirm Lupus there are blood tests, as someone has posted, in particular ANA, other symptoms present, 11 key symptoms, 4 or more can point to Lupus. For your own peace of mind, if you can ask to have blood tests taken you will hopefully have some answers. Do you have a rash elsewhere? That's another indication of lupus and depending on what type, the rash varies. Keep a note if you can of when your symptoms/rash appears. Your own history can help the doctor. Hope you get answers soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.