Quetiapine causing hypomania and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

Just started quetiapine 4 days ago. They er definitely making me hypomanic! Also increasing anxiety, racing thoughts and restlessness. Im on 50 mg. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it go away with time? I thought it was supposed to make me calm and relaxed... and prevent hypomania.. not causing it. 

Damn you drugs... amiright?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi sarah, I too have just started quetiapine, about a week ago. I’m on 50mg after starting on 25. I don’t have the symptoms you are describing..in fact, I’m not feeling anything so was wondering if it was too early for me. I hope your symptoms sort themselves out quickly. Perhaps we could catch up with each other in another weeks time. Julia 
    • Posted

It’s “funny” how it effects people differently. Sure thing! Let’s catch up :-)
    • Posted

Hi sarah. How are you doing? I’m actually feeling good, just been put up to 75mg (yesterday) I feel calm, I wake up happier and not panicky as I normally do. I was on Noretriptiline just before Quetiapine and my key worker wanted me to take the two together. But I really struggled with the side effects and so just stopped. (Against wishes of key worker) with the Quetiapine I can have a relatively normal day, I am going out, feeling confident, less weepy and got back to a routine of keep fit(my fave hobby). I hope this lasts. My daughter keeps saying ‘I have my mama back’. But I do realise it’s early days...fingers crossed tho! How are you doing? 

Julia 

• Posted

hi so ive been on it about two years i think. and i am trying to get off it. its very difficult to teach your body to sleep on its own. i ran out of pills so i thought ok tonight is the night.  then i got even more anxiety and i believe idk maybe i slept 3 hrs total?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.