RA and possible Thoracic Outlet Syndrome?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with RA back in September. About 6 months prior to that I was diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome by my chiropractor. None of my doctors/rheumatologist will even consider the TOS diagnosis; one, because it was diagnosed by a chiropractor (and a very good one I might add!) and docs never seem to take chiropractors seriously; and two, they all tell me it's 'rare' to have. I have 2 friends who actually have it so it can't be that rare. And repetitive use is a cause, so why wouldn't it be valid with the way we live now on computers and smart phones? I have awful shoulder pain but it's usually one shoulder at a time, and I get these awful hand cramps (again, one hand at a time) that don't allow me to sleep because lying down makes it worse. It happens maybe a few times a year and the pain is excruciating. It's like nerve pain I can't even explain. Does anyone else deal with this? Has anyone else ever been diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome? I can't help but think I am dealing with both issues.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

yes message in box as no live links
    • Posted

Thanks peter! I sent you a reply. I'm going to bring it up at my next visit to my new Rheumatologist. I get the numbness and pain and I don't think it's the RA when that happens.
  • Posted

Hi Seulmac22;  I don't know very much about Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, but it is a Condition.  There are various causes......can be from aTrauma to affected side, but if you say from both sides, perhaps you have a Vascular Condition, affecting the blood supply.....the best site I use for information/confirmation is the Mayo Clinic Web Site, as this is a Major Teaching Institute in America, known World Wide, and I have worked with many doctors who have Specialized here, due to it's Credibility.     Hop on, see what they say, and then take info to hour doctor/rheumatologist???    Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.