RA and the Covid vaccine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with RA and gout because of high RF and urates in blood. I've also had ultrasound and isotope bone scans. I have always had OA. I think it's Psoriatic Arthritis rather than RA because I started with mild psoriasis in Jan 2022 and my nails are grtting bad.

I blame the covid booster vaccine I had in Dec 2021 and just wondered if anyone else started or had RA flares after the covid vaccine.

I don't take any meds because I can cope with current levels of discomfort.

TIA

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

No one knows for sure if the covid vaccine can induce inflammation but I also feel the covid vaccine - one in nov and another in dec - are what my 'activated' an over response in my body. I share your theory.

I now have RA since Dec 21 but only diagnosed officially around Aug 22. I suffered for months as i had a bad knee that flared up in Dec 21 at the same time. I think the combination of my knee and the vaccine caused my body to over react and bring on RA thoughout my body.

Currently bad in feet/ankles. I'm hoping a strict clean diet can help control it along with meds that i want to come off eventually.

• Edited

Thanks for your reply. Quite a few people on the psoriatic arthritis support page on facebook experienced flares after the jab and I read somewhere that a rheumatologist had advised his patient not to have it. I reported on the yellow card scheme but of course it will take years before any statistics (if anybody is interested enough to collate them) become available as to covid vaccine side effects. All I know is that my, albeit very mild, psoriasis and changes in my joints, and subsequent diagnosis of RA came out of nowhere at age 75. Hope you get some relief from your pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.