Radiation Proctopathy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Completed RT for PC 20 months ago. Now diagnosed with Radiation Proctopathy causing bleeding from the back end.

Anyone have similar experience ?

Is it self healing ?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No, it's not self-healing. About 4 months, after 44 sessions of laser beam radiation therapy for prostate cancer, I began bleeding rectally. It got worse as the days went by. Finally went to ER after I woke up one morning with a pajama bottom full of blood and colon tissue. I had a surgical procedure called argon plasma coagulation. Had a second procedure 4 weeks later. The bleeding has stopped. I insert a prescription suppository (Anucort) nightly. Allows bowel movements with little to no pain, pressure or straining. Can't be cured but can be successfully managed for decades with patient awareness.
    • Posted

Hi John

Thanks for that.

I think our posts are crossing on two threads.

• Posted

Hi JohnPMcC

What is the procedure for 'Argon plasma coagulation' ?

​What type of anaestheic, how long is procedure and recovery.

• Posted

I had argon plasma coagulation for a severe case of post-radiation proctitis, although I assume it's used for any case of proctitis.

The physician used a combination of 2 drugs. I could answer his questions although I had no memory of any conversation. It wasn't general anesthesia, but I felt nothing and was asleep the entire procedure. I woke up less than 1 minute after procedure was over. Had to wait minimum of 30 minutes before being discharged. Had to have a driver to be discharged.

Procedure was approximately 30 minutes.

Recovery? Best to talk to professional who performs procedure about recovery time. Mine has been long-term, but my physician told me he had never seen a case as severe as mine. And he is no spring chicken. Must be in his 50s. In one of the top practices in this area.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.