Ramapril

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, iwas prescribed Ramapril three months ago. Initially 2.5mg. BP was 175/95. Was very overweight (5 stone over ideal weight) and poor diet. Lost 2 stone through excercise and BP dropped to 140/80 resting heart rate 54-62 Broke my elbow two moths ago, stopped excerciseing, weight increased and BP now at 180/95. Resting HR 74-81. Ramapril dose increased to 5mg. Will do more excercise but want advice as to if I should increase Ramapril to 10mg per day? Only side effects are a occasional cough at night and some tiredness. I'm willing to live with that to protect my heart. I guess question is, is there any down side to increasing dose that anyone has experienced? 

Thanks for for any feedback or comments.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi MH,

?Ramipril is an ACE inhibitor and on rare occasions can cause Angioedema.

?I belatedly found that the swelling in my throat was being cause by Ramipril.

?Such swellings may necessitate emergency treatment.

?I managed to withdraw from drug in time.

?Here is an excerpt from ACE Inhibitor data:

Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are the leading cause of drug-induced angioedema in the United States because they are so widely prescribed. Patients most commonly present with swelling of the lips, tongue, or face, although another presentation is episodic abdominal pain due to intestinal angioedema. 

???Thought you should know because in my case there was a higher risk from taking Ramipril rather than not taking it. I couldn't say if it was dose dependent but if you should experience such a reaction you should always avoid taking ACE controlling drugs.

Regards

?Bob

• Posted

Isn't some of the side effects of ramipril heart attacks and strokes?

I was on amlodapine but could hardly walk as all my joints ceases up I had severe muscle tension and severe cramp I was up 5-6 times every night.

I came off the amlodapine and within days I felt 100% better.

I have been given Ramipril now but I have decided not to take it as I think it will do me more harm than good.

My blood pressure isn't particularly high but according to the doctor there's a text book BP that says overyone's BP should be below 140/80 how can they say that, everyone is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.