Ramipril

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Hope every one is well..

I have been on ramipril for almost 4 years. Started on a low dose and have been on 10mg since.

About six months ago i started experiencing strange sensations off falling feeling and as though i was walking round with concrete boots on. I have thought about everything except my bp. I work in a hospital and she suggested she took my bp . I was stunned to see my bp come up as 90/50. So i took it through out the day and it pretty much stayed the same.

I imediately phone gp to see if i could get a appointment in next few days to be told 2 weeks. I have tried to stick it out but i just felt awful and decided to stop taking ramipril.. i was worried about side effects. Day 3 and tbh i have never felt better . I have checked bp and its gone up to 118/60..

Has any one else had same as me and i know stopping taking 10mg isnt advisable but did any one see there bp go high again ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tinkestral,

I have been on Ramipril 10mg for a long time as an alternative to coming off Bendrofloumethiazade? (I think that is how it is spelt!) but it was not successful in controlling my BP so I was started on a 2-Drug combination trial. After several failed attempts over the past six months I am now on Candesartin 12mg and my BP has dropped to something close to yours. The dosage started at 2mg and rose to 16mg which proved to be too much so it was lowered to 12mg and I think that perhaps it may need to go down to 10mg but I have to take my BP 4 times a day and average out three readings and the lowest recorded BP was 94/50. You are right about the low BP it hit me too like if I was to get up too quickly the whole room went round and round and I was unstable on my feet.

Bearing in mind my target BP has gone from the WHO 140/70 to the NICE standard of 120/70 at the moment it starts the day at around 130/65 and drops steadily to 110/55 (The lowest redorded so far) It continues at this level all morning and starts to climb back to 120/65 by about 1600 when I take the Candesartan. The evening BP is now down to 140/60 when I take the 10mg Ramipril again.

At present, I am able to do a 4mile walk each morning in an attempt to shake off these effects before they really kick in.

I hope this helps a little.

DCCDave

• Posted

First of all, I would never encourage anyone to stop bp medication without consulting their doctor. 90/50 is LOW...which is likely the reason you were feeling the way you were. After a few days of stopping, your bp is at 118/60...on the rise.

Perhaps a lower dose os the Rampiril would be better for you, but remember; on this forum we are not doctors, just people here to help each other.

By all means, see your doctor.

• Posted

Doctors aren't Gods.  Blood Pressure of 90/50 is far too low.  If unable to get an appointment for two weeks I would definitely stop the Ramipril and monitor my blood pressure daily (maybe even twice a day) and make records of it and take them in to your GP with you.  A similar thing happened to me, we have good GPs. The only time I ever wait 2 weeks for an appointment is for a routine matter, but when my Blood Pressure suddenly dropped (I had started a Low Carb diet, one of the known effects is a reduction in Blood Pressure) and my BP dropped like a stone.  We were on holiday at the time, I stopped the Ramipril, took my BP daily and went see my GP when I got back.  His reaction?  Well done on the weight loss, I will strike 'Hypertension' off your notes and the medication off your repeat prescription.  That's about 5 years ago.  Still 3 stone lighter, still low carb still not hypertensive.

• Posted

I agree with Mo1953...I did say your bp at 90/50 is too low. Stopping the bp medication WILL cause the reading to go higher. When you called the Dr. office did you tell them it was regarding your bp & the medication? Most Dr. offices will get the patient in much sooner than 2 weeks when it's a bp issue. I'd be very inclined to call back & tell them the reason for the appt. IF they still say you'd have to wait 2 weeks, then I'd address this issue once I got to see the Dr. 

As mentioned, you may need a medication lower than 10mg. Perhaps 5 or whatever smaller dosage the Rampiril comes in. Don't play with the bp numbers...be careful about it..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.