Ramipril medication

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a heart attack in December 2017 and was prescribed Ramipril

1.5 mg once a day.

Although I was advised by the Cardiologist to increase the dosage gradually I was very reluctant to do so due to side affects.

I finally agreed to increase two weeks ago to 3 mg and now I am plagued with dizziness.

My day to day living has been affected and currently I feel worse than when I had my heart attack.

Interestingly I have never had high blood pressure but was told that the Ramipril will reshape my heart following the heart attack.

Has any one had a similar experience?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It is not at all uncommon for the side effects of a drug to be at least as bad as the problem it is trying to resolve.  If you are getting dizzy it is very possible that your BP is getting too low, which is also dangerous as you could fall and injur yourself.  I’d reduce your dose and book an appointment with your doctor to ask if you could now stop this medication.  Buy yourself a BP monitor and monitor your BP for a couple of weeks, then you will see for certain if your BP is too low.
  • Posted

Hi,  I haven't had a heart attack but have been on Ramipril 10 mg for years I have intermittent dizzy spells, mercifully not often.  I read recently that they've discovered, As a side effect, Ramipril reduces inflammation n the arteries, and inflammation is one of the main causes of heart attacks. I've weighed up the pros and cons of staying on Ramipril and decided I'd rather put up with the dizzy spells than the alternative.

Best wishes with your recovery.  Regards, Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.