Rapid GFR drop - anyone else?! I'm a tad scared right now.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok, I have Psoriatic Arthritis and due to my medication i have routine blood tests. On the 13th of August I had my normal run of blood tests, I finally got the results back on the 16th of September after they got 'lost in space'. During this month I went from thinking I was having a nasty flare up to knowing something else was going on to make me feel so awfully horrid. My results, when they finally appeared, showed my GFR sitting at 51 so a repeat set were done. The far quicker results from these tests showed that my GFR had dropped to 37!!! So, in a month I had dropped by 14? I was then told to immediately stop my NSAIDs (non steroid anti inflammatory drugs) and to try and reduce some of my painkillers. I was booked in to have a third repeat set of bloods on the 29th of Sept but after spending the last 2 days in agony I went back this morning and subsequently had the repeats done this morning. The back pain i am in is something akin to being in labour and I honestly do have a high pain threshold. Has anyone else out there been through anything similar because I don't mind admitting that right now I am PETRIFIED!!! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My sister was on Bactrim antibiotic, her hfr dropped to 25, her creatinine was 28.9!!!!! After being off of it for 6 weeks, had bloodwork redone, recovered to gfr 57, creatinine, 1.2. It had her in kidney failure.. Kidney Dr said no ibuprofen, or Allege. Very hard on kidneys. Probably your meds doing it. See if there is something u can take that won't be hard on your kidneys

• Posted

Thank you Neffie, I do so hope this down to my NSAIDs. It's the fact that I have now stopped them but the pain is just getting worse. At times I just don't know where to put myself, nothing seems to help relieve the pain and if I do happen to manage a half hour doze at night, I wake up totally drenched. I'm getting through so much bedding and an average of 3-4 sets of vest/shorts pjs in a night. I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome already but this lack of comfortable rest can't  be helping either.

• Posted

How about Tylenol? Rubs? pain patche. r. Recommend something safe? So sorry you r suffering. Hope u find a solution soon.
    • Posted

I think I'm going to have to wait and see what my results show tomorrow before trying anything else. Thank you for your kind words.

• Posted

Let me know how your results turn out. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Neffie. Doc rang about an hour ago and my GFR has risen to 47, which by itself is good news. I was dreading a drop!!  My back is still so very painful and doc has suggested going back up a little on my MST (morphine) until we get a clearer picture. He is writing to my Rheumy so hopefully between them I'll get a few more answers. I've got to have more bloods done in 2 weeks to keep an eye on things. Thank you so much for your support, it's very much appreciated in this unknown territory I've found myself in. I'll report back with any developments. Thanks again. xx

• Posted

Good. It is meds. Hopefully, they can come up with something to help your pain, but easier on kidneys.  So  glad it came up. I knew it would. Keep me updated, and you are welcome.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.