Rash

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on lifelong anticoagulation therapy due to unprovoked DVT's and PE's. I have been taking Apixaban since 2015, without any complications.

However, over the past couple of days, I have developed a rash just above my right ankle. It appears to be spreading. image

Does anyone have any experience of this? Can it possibly be caused by my 5mg twice daily dose of Apixaban?

TIA!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Nigel,

When you take blood thinners people can get platelets on the skin, some are quite dark, that look like bruises, you may notice them on older people, it is a side effect of anticoagulants. They can come and go depending on how your blood is flowing, as some food and drink also thin the blood, it can be more flowing than normal. Remember alcohol also thins the blood so do be a little careful with that while on anticoagulants.

• Posted

Many thanks Jen!

I was slightly concerned as I have been very fortunate over the years with regards to any side effects of anticoagulants.

• Posted

Its seems to be a rash that is becoming a skin infection. Speak to your doctor about options.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.