Re Shoulder arthroscopy operation.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi to all,

I had shoulder arthroscopy operation about 6 weeks ago or more 3rd of August.

I have been in constant pain now taking morphine tabs n been sent bk to pain clinic still very sore when meds wear off I just do not understand thought an op was to make my shoulder more comfortable not make it worse.

Been back to Phyisio that just made it worse altogether.

So what can I do it just slows me down from cleaning ect to washing my hair getting dressed

I can squeeze a cloth out n keep dropping things it's right annoying to say the least.

Anyone any ideas to help would be appriciated.

Dolphin500

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Irene. I can certainly sympathise with you. I had my opp on the 10th Aug. I was in discomfort before surgery however the pain after surgury is on another level. I'm taking tramadol and gabapentin.

It's the most horrendous op I have ever had. I have to keep on top of my pain relief so as to do physio daily. My physio courses more pain than I feel comfortable with but I do understand it's important to get movement going. I definitely don't want to end up bk in surgery for a frozen shoulder. Keep using the ice it really works for me better than heat. Keep chatting maybe we can help each other.

Jane

• Posted

Hi Irene, I didn't have surgery; I fell and broke my left shoulder in May 2015 which is very painful. Some tips from me to you are; I went to the hairdresser to get my hair washed and put up in a bun. This didn’t cost very much just 10.00$ each time. I also have good neighbours so I had someone come over to put up my hair when it looked out-of-whack! As for bathing, I bought baby wipes as this was the easiest way to wipe myself clean, at least in the beginning. Dressing was challenging so I used m yoga pants which has elastic waists and some camisoles that were one size bigger to slip from the feet and over my body. Slipping any clothing over my head is impossible. Also a larger blouse to put over my camisoles works great. You don’t need much clothing I just make sure that I wash often so that I am clean. Just because we have injuries doesn’t mean we should look like dogs! Hope some of this helps, wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Hello Irene,

I had a shoulder hemiarthroplasty in August 2014.  (It was not done by arthroscopy; I am not sure how this is carried out on a shoulder.)  Another member, Pauline41903, had a shoulder hemiarthroplasty a few weeks before me and there are several discussions between she and I on this page which may be helpful to you.  I was in a sling for six weeks, not allowed to move the shoulder until the sling came off and it was then that physio began and I am still doing it!  It has been a very long road with pain in the beginning and exercise following.  It is a slow process but it is important to keep working no matter how difficult, but not overexerting of course.  Once physio is at a point where they cannot achieve more range of motion in the shoulder/arm, it is important to lift weights, etc., to gain strength.  At this point for you, this will seem like the future is dim as regards using the shoulder again.  It has been approximately one year since I began physio and I just graduated to a 5lb free weight just last week, so very slow.  It is important though, not to get discouraged and to try to do little things no matter how it feels.  I remember when I could not hold a cup of tea (or an empty cup) and many smaller things but it will come. Try not to let it get you down as that can easily happen.  I wouldn't have believed back then (when feeling so miserable) that it would get better but it has.  Once I was able to get off the prescription pain medication and use over-the-counter pain meds that helped also. The prescription meds taken too long (in my case) seemed to oversensitize and felt like it was creating more pain; just my experience. Do keep working at it, Irene. Best of luck. Janice   

• Posted

Hi Thankyou to all,

Thankyou to all who have replied to my posts I've just had more meds my shoulder was killing yesterday afternoon had to have 2 morphine at once it just wasn't working n today I have to go shopping n buy x mas pressies too.

I think another trip to docs this week.

Dolphin500.

• Posted

Hi Jane

I went bk to the doctors this morning n he put me on zomorph sustained release morphine sulphate tabs, my shoulder feels a bit better but I am stiff when walking n don't know why.

My pain clinic appointment not arrived yet I don't know why.

They want to get a move on.

Dolphin500.

• Posted

Hi I've only just received this. I'm now 8wks post op and just starting to improve. Still on pain relief. I get pain when walking my physio suggested I put my hand in my pocket and it does help slightly. I've come to except this is an awful operation stopped beating myself up. I focus on my exercises and everything else can just wait. I'm with you on the pain it's awful. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.