re. simple radius fracture - limited pain/swelling

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last Friday i slipped on a wet pavement and fell onto my hand. I  have a simple radius fracture which now has a temporary cast and have to go to a follow up appointment on Friday. I am cautiously optimistic because i have had very little real pain or swelling. My thumb is bruised but my fingers are fine and i can move them without difficulty.  I am hoping to have the plaster off before the 6 week period due to a booked holiday. I can currently do most small tasks (eg. teeth cleaning, turning tap on) with only minor discomfort but am not lifting things. I haven't needed  any painkillers yet which has surprised me. I am wondering whether anyone else has had similar experience?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi katejo11' seems to me you're doing fine! I had a similar accident last year, not needing surgery, but it was a long time before I could use that hand to clean my teeth! Things I learned were: try to use your arm as much as possible, exercise it regularly; DO the physio for your fingers, and your wrist; as soon as you can, get out of the sling -- I wish I'd been told to do this! If you don't need painkillers, that's a good sign -- there is a separate discussion going on here for 'shattered distal radius' -- if you can find it, there is wealth of experience and info to help you. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Patsy59716

Thanks for quick reply. Have already read other discussion but started mine because I just have single break. How long did you have plaster on? I can do most things with my arm but not sure if I am doing too much. Avoiding lifting other than small things like a mug of tea. I only used sling for 2 days. Have found some exercises online and tried them this morning. Staying off work until appointment but hope to go back (not all duties)

• Posted

Update to my own earlier entry. Have now had my orthopaedic appt. Went pretty ok. Despite plaster being removed, I could still move my fingers and wrist with only minor discomfort. Now have new plaster on. Xray was ok and I can go to work next week. Have another appointment with xray next Friday.
  • Posted

sounds like you're doing better than me! i'm only 4 days in tho and got a proper cast yesterday, i slipped down some stone steps that were slippy and broke my fall literally lol been told 4-6 weeks casted
    • Posted

surprised that you have said that i am doing better than you. Is yours more painful? Can you move your fingers and thumb?  Can you move your fingers. Have you just got 1 break? I note that you are likely to have the plaster for 4-6 weeks, I have been told 6 weeks though they may be being cautious. I am due to go on holiday in just under 5 weeks and would like to have the plaster off by then. I suspect that you are quite a bit younger as you mentioned your 3 year old daughter.

Although i was at work today, I didn't do all my usual duties. Re. sleeping with the cast on: I haven't had too much trouble. i start on my front with the plaster extended above my head but don't manage to stay in that position once asleep.

I have another appointment at the fracture clinic on Friday and want to ask to see the xray to see if there is any improvement after 2 weeks.

• Posted

Here is my latest update. Had another  x ray after 2 weeks and was told that I was making good progress. Glad that my return to work this week hasn't caused problems. Had a quick view of the  x ray but couldn't really see enough to tell for myself. However I was told that I would definitely have the plaster off 4 weeks from now (just before I fly off on holiday). I asked whether i would wear a wrist support after that. Consultant said no because I would need to keep it active to help it improve further.   Also asked whether the exercises which I have been doing were ok. He said yes and gave me a couple more to try.  What have others been told about reintroducing activities? I have heard that rough guideline is 6 weeks in plaster and a further 6 weeks recovery.
    • Posted

How is your wrist doing now? Are you still in plaster? I have 1 week to go (exactly 6 weeks in total).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.