reaction to flu and swine flu jab

Posted , 10 users are following.

i am a 45 year old lady who worked as a healthcare assistant in derriford hospital until june of last year when i was dismissed from my post due to my incapability of being able to fullfill my role following what i beleive to be a reactive arthritis following the flu and swine flu vaccination. I have never felt so ill or felt so much pain in all my life. I had profuse swelling of my hands legs and feet, they were that swollen the consultant at the hospital said he has never seen anything like it. i experienced severe pain in my head and in multiple joints and i lost alot of my mobility. I went from being very active to being able to do virtually nothing. I have had numerous tests blood test to check for rheumatoid etc echocardial gram, ultrasound on all my internal organs and doctors could find nothing. i was in that much pain at one point i wanted to die. Doctors put me on all sorts of medication including morphein and i was still in agony. The only thing i responded to was steroids but the consultant took me off them as i had no immflamatory markers in my blood which suggested i dint need to be on steroids. Within days all my symptons were backand in the end i could stick it no longer so i put myself back on them, went back to the doctor where they were shocked at the significant change in me and agreed to keep me on them. I still as of yet do not have a diagnosis and i am a year on. I feel that the vaccinations i was given has been the cause of this and the fact they gave me a double dose at a time when i was full of cold and cough , doctors feel my immune has become overloaded and couldnt cope , in turn causing my immune to attack my body. :cry: i feel very concerned as i am now a year on and everytime i try stopping the steroids all my symptons come back. They never go away properly i am still swollen and in pain but not as bad as when im not on steroids. I wonder how my body has been affected longterm and the damage this has caused. Is there anybody else experienced similarities to myself i would love to hear from others[color=red:786da7d458][/color:786da7d458]

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I too live in Plymouth and have, I believe had this Reactive Arthritis since 2003. I have had all the blood tests come back negative bone scans etc.

Gave up with the Doctors because they did not diagnose me and just prescribed various anti inflamatories that never worked

A year ago I caught a really bad vomitting bug at work and within 4 weeks all my joints were aching/stiff, I had a terrible itch on my arms and legs which I scratched untill they bled, shooting pains at the back of my ankles up into my calf, horrendous. Like you the pain was so bad I couldn't take it and could not face the pain. I was put on steroids and Yes i felt the best I had in 8 years. Now off them and back to all the sympoms although not as bad. I went private in the end and was diagnosed but it seems GP's do not seem to appreciate how bad this condition is. My sister has Rheumatoid and gets all the help drugs she needs. I however have given up and just put up with the bad days and enjoy the good. I also had to quit work.

I had other symptoms such as sudden urges to pass urine, saw itchy eyes with blurred vision but most of all the joint pain, being unable to walk and feeling really crap. I am male 49 bust this all started when I was 42.

• Posted

Hi,

I am a 40 year old woman and have had reactive arthritis for four years on and off.

The first time I had it was after I caught 'slapped cheek syndrome (parvovirus) from one of my 3 children. The first time I had reactive arthritis I was really very poorly, and like so many of the other comments from other people, I had very little help from my gp, in fact I diagnosed my illness myself after several months of suffering.

Since my first time it seems to come back almost yearly, each time leaving me with another problem joint. I have had it again this time since Jan and I have been so bad this time that I can barely face getting out of bed some days (rather difficult with 3 children).

I find it difficult to explain how I feel, other than in pain and feeling so dreadfully ill ALL of the time.

My husband found this site for me, I am hoping that by sharing info, I might be able to find something that will now make my life easier.

I have tried diclofenac, which did help me at first, but this time it has seemed to do nothing.

In Feb I was so bad that I insisted that the rheumatology dep saw me at my worst, as in the past by the time I saw them I was in remission. I had an intramuscular steroid injection, which has helped, but I am still getting really bad spells.They x-rayed me and did the blood tests when I was really bad, which showed that my CRP was raised to 21, when previously it had been showing normal at less than 5. I have also had iron and folic acid deficiency each time. I would advise anyone to be really persistant with gp's and even do what I did and cut out the middle man and phone up hospital direct. I now have it in black and white a diagnosis for my gp (who still won't really accept it!) Plus permission for the gp to give me the injection there if I need it.

I was trying out naproxin for a while with tramadol for bed time (I sometimes really struggle to move and get in and out of bed) but the naproxen started making me feel really sick, so I have spent the last few days in a really emotional state, crying. As other people have said 'this has ruined my life' I am usually an outgoing person, but am so afraid that this will get worse and worse throughout my life, I just want to feel 'normal' again and play with my children like other people do.

I too would love to hear from others, because how ever nice people are, I think only another person with this can really understand.[color=indigo:4a12c5af66][/color:4a12c5af66]

• Posted

hello im a 21 year old women, i had this 2 in 1 flu and swine flu jab on friday of last week. Yesterday morning i woke up with this large lump on the lower part of my left arm which is extreemly painful and i cant hardly move it, i now feel terriblely weak and tired ive been feeling sick and i just cant seem to find any syptoms of this 2 in 1 jab on the net what so ever. Im reluctent to go to the doctors as they are just so usless does any one have any advice at all? And did you have anything like this at the start with yourselves when you had this vaccine?
  • Posted

I received the flu shot as it is required at my place of work (only 3rd of my life) and four days after my right eye turned red. Then two days after that I awoke to not beimg able to move my right arm. Over the next few weeks more symptoms, many sore swollen joints and my left eye also turned red. Over the course of these few weeks I saw many doctors and was fianlly diagnosed with nodular scleritis associated with rheumatic autoimmune disease. The doctor said something triggered the disease in me but cannot prove it was the flu shot. It appears obvious to any rational mind that the flu shot was the trigger. Documented cases of the flu shot causing this since the seventies. Educate yourself about the true risks of the flue shot before getting one. No one informed me of these risks.
  • Posted

Just happened upon your post, I am having the exact same symptoms following a tdap vaccine.  Have you gotten any more answers as to what is happening, and how are you feeling now?  I need help as I am feeling so terrible and all tests showing nothing....
  • Posted

Just happened upon your post, I am having the exact same symptoms following a tdap vaccine.  Have you gotten any more answers as to what is happening, and how are you feeling now?  I need help as I am feeling so terrible and all tests showing nothing....
    • Posted

Hello i was put on steriod antibartics for a week then a furthur penacillin type pills and i was much better after that had the exact same problem all bloods came back with nothing apart from two that said i had high potassium and an inflamed liver but that lasted a week hope ur all ok 
  • Posted

Hi all, reading all this with interest. I had my first flu jab in early eighties as am an asthma sufferer. I had months of swollen and painful joints. Ever after when I had an infection or flu jab flare ups of swollen joints and pain. Not had flu jab now for several years but always under pressure from health professionals to have the flu jab. Had various tests which all came back negative. Treated as if I was making it up. Had various anti-inflammatries which didn't work. For several years now have been taking turmeric every day which helps enormously. I did however have to give up work in 2010 due to increased swelling and pain in knees. Symptoms subsided after giving up work. Would be great if medics treated this as a serious condition instead of brushing it aside.

• Posted

I'm a 60 yr old woman but I tell people I'm 29 so don't judge me. smile  I too in September 2016 received an Flu Shot with a Tetanus vaccine.  After a day I got flu symptom then within a week I could not open a door or walk without pain in all my joint.  I developed bumps on my wrist and swollen biceps and was not able to lift my arm.  When swelling went down I saw a permanent lump which soon indicated that the swelling tore my bicep.  I was referred to Rheumatologist who diagnose me with reactive arthritis after all the HIV, VD, RA, Lupus Test came in negative.  At first all the doctors I saw stated that they were not sure it could cause Reactive Arthritis until I sent them an article of a man who contracted Reactive Arthritis from Flu Vaccine. My SED Rate and CRP was through the roof. Doctor prescribe Prednisone and I tried Methotrexate but had worst reaction.  After over a year my doctor wants me off steroids which has taken me a long time to get down from 30mg to 2.5mg.  Because of the long term inflammation I now have tissue damage and not only will need a bicep repair but a hip replacement.  I'm in constant hip and knee pain but will be trying Humria.   I'm now going through a Vaccine Injury lawyer. I don't have any other medical conditions that need daily prescibed meds.  I try to eat healthy and stay active but the Reactive Arthritis limits me from even taking long walks.  I hope after 7 yrs you are now healed.  

• Posted

Hi Marcy,

Really sorry to hear about your problems. I still have problems with my knees. Never had joint problems before I had the flu jab (because I am a chronic asthma sufferer). Will not have it again but medical profession still trying to foist it on me even when I tell them the reason I don't want it. I now take turmeric, large teaspoon in coffee or milk first thing and if I need it last thing at night. This has helped more than any drug the NHS has thrown in my direction. I've cut the use of painkillers (in my case paracetamol, nothing else seems to work) by about 90%. Still aware of my joints though. Wish I had never had the jab ! I wish you luck and hope you see some improvement in health.

• Posted

I too beleive I have had this reaction. I am a lifelong asthma sufferer so was advised to get the flu jab, first one of which was in early eighties. I had severe joint pain and swelling and was off work on and off for several years. If I had an infection of any kind my knees would swell to the point where I could hardly bend my legs. I am 64 now and refuse any flu jab. I believe that this sensitized me to react to any infection. I was tested and guess what, no inflammatory indicators found. I think it is going to become more difficult to refuse this treatment as time goes on. For the good of all etc.......And no, the reaction hasn't been short lived as the NHS states.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.