Reallllyy need help today :( chest flutters?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So basically i've had anxiety all my life, but only in past 3 years have I had the physical symptoms, chest pain, palpitations, shortness of breath etc. 

I'm 23 years old, and in the past couple of weeks i've been really trying to push through my anxiety as me and my girlfriend have just had an offer accepted on a house and the last thing I want to do is let my health anxiety ruin the experience of it all. But Saturday night I went out for a curry and a few beers with my mates, I didnt get absolutley leathered, but I was a bit drunk, and probably mixed my drinks too much, had about 5 different drinks over the night. Anyway, I woke up sunday morning with one of the worst hangovers of my life, absolute killer of a headache etc, but it made my symptoms so much worse, chest pain & shortness of breath, i thought i was having a heart attack about 3 times during the course of the day. It was horrible, I've heard alcohol can made anxiety symptoms worse the next day but jesus it was horrible.

I feel like i've been knocked back about 2 months in terms of getting over my anxiety sad

I've never understood what a 'chest flutter' feels like. I get these like vibrations/tremors on the surface of my skin, the doctor said that's just my blood running through my veins. But twice while my anxiety has been through the roof, i've had these tremors/vibrations just below my ribcage where my stomach is, so not really in my chest, it only lasts 2 seconds but i lose my breath when it happens. I don't if it's a run of PVC's/PAC's or what, or maybe some tachardyia but it's scary. But then most of the time i can have those tremors/vibrations/flutters on the surface of my skin near my chest and nothing happens in terms of shortness of breath or whatever, just those two times when my anxiety was sky sky sky high that i lost my breath. 

I know anxiety can cause all sorts of wierd and wonderful symptoms, I rarely come on these forums but when I do i always see threads about chest pain/palps etc. I've now been cleared by two cardioligists, one last year in october, and one recently in October. I've had loads of ecgs, a 72 hour ecg, a stress test ecg, an echocardiogram, and with the most recent cardioligist he did a stress perfusion cardiac MRI scan, which come back clear too. 

So yeah basically i'm here now after my day of hell yesterday trying to convince myself its all anxiety, everythings fine. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered with severe anxiety and panic attacks for over 20yrs. They can be very debilitating and also can take days to recover from. I had a severe attack just last night. I take immediate release Seroquel and Valium to help control the effects of the attacks. Without the proper treatment I believe that your attacks will only get worse. 

At times I feel like I am losing my mind and it took me years before I was brave enough to seek help. You would be surprised how many people out there suffer with the same problems that you are experiencing. Yes some of these symptoms can be very scary, and it can take time to find the right medications to help you, but you need to get help asap. 

I hope that this short message helps you. I know how scary these days feel.

• Posted

These days are the worst, feeling like it's never ending and im going to be stuck like this for ever, you go one step forward, then 2 steps back.

I've considered medication but I really don't want to do that, I don't want to rely on medication to sort me out. My girlfriend says I need to go speak to somebody.

• Posted

I felt exactly the same and it wasn't until I got home from work one day and my wife told me that she had rang my GP and told him what was happening and made an appointment for me. For the first 10min I hated her for doing that, but I honestly beleive that I would not be here today if she had not made that call and I did not keep my appointment with my GP. 

I felt the same about taking medication for my anxiety, panic attacks and depression, but as my GP & wife always say, "If you had cancer or diabetes and you needed medication to keep living, would you take it" and my answer is always, YES. 

I have done the CBT therapy and still see my GP weekly and a Psychiatrist. They are all very important people in managing my wellbeing. You must find good medical practioners to help you through this difficult time. My wife and sister are amazing, and your girlfriend sounds very supportive. 

Please remember, it is nothing to be ashamed of. We are all just wired differently. Find what works for you, but please don't delay getting help.

• Posted

Thats a very good point, there is a thing called open minds near where I live, where you can go talk to them if you have some mental health issues like anxiety. I'm considering going in there soon, I've had 3 years of absolute hell, i've diagnosed myself with about 5 different cancers, angina, heart valve prolapse, blood clots in my legs, and at the end of it all 3 years on? not one of them has been a correct diagnosis. I've ruined holidays, i've missed out on stuff because of it, absolute hell. I get the all clear over one illness, and I think right that's it im beating anxiety now, then ill just get another dodgy looking mole, or feel another slight lump and i'm back in the surreal world of anxiety till I have a test that clears me. 

Im a massive googler, I have to google any illness I think I have and then i convince myself I have it, the amount of times I've been laid in bed 100% convinced I have a cancer after googling it is absolutley stupid. 

• Posted

I have the exact same problem with googling. I have been in a really bad place for the last 2 months thought I was dying it was the worst I have ever felt in my life. I have always had anxiety for years but never like this and never the panic attacks until 2 months ago. I started googling every symptom making it 100x worse. I convinced myself I had a serious neurological disease and couldn't get it out of my head.I would google everyday for hours and hours. It has been running my life. I didn't want to take medication either but I was so bad I couldn't take it anymore and agreed. It took 3 different medications all making me feel worse and I woukd stop them before it got so bad the dr said I had to stick with one of them and suffer the side effects if I wanted to feel better they would go away or I could continue to feel the way I am. I am on day 6 suffered through the nausea and vomitting and today is the first day I didn't wake up sick. Medication can help even if you take it for a short time to get out of the hole. I was at a point I couldn't do it without it
  • Posted

I feel for you! I am so sorry you/we are dealing with this nightmare. Just keep thinking that there is nothing wrong with you, it is your body tricking you into believing there is something wrong. Just keep repeating "there is nothing really wrong with me, this is all just a trick"!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.