Reccurent UTI for 8 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum but am at my wits end and am looking for help and support through this tough time.

I started dating my boyfriend in September 2014 and have been having recurrent UTI's ever since. I have had them in the past very rarely (one, maybe two a year) but am now having minimum one per month, if not more.

I went to one urologist who basically told me it was normal and to keep taking antibiotics in the hope it will eventually pass. I couldn't accept that answer and went to get a second opinion from another urologist yesterday.

He is performing a cystoscopy next Thursday to check for anything wrong internally with my urethra or bladder (very nervous for this, anyone have advice or know what its like?).

He also told me he has had cases where with one partner women have no UTI's and then they end up switching to someone else and they get them all the time. So I asked the obvious question, will this always happen to me with my current boyfriend? I got the dreadful answer, yes.

I burst into tears the whole way home and wondered how I was meant to tell my boyfriend. I don't know how I feel about this always happening with him, nor do I think it is fair for him to have sex with me knowing I will most likely get another infection and be in pain.

He took it pretty well and said he would stay by my side no matter what, but has this happened to anyone else?

I was prescribed a low dose antibiotic to take after sex to help prevent a UTI and I have been on and off Macrobid for months now.

Has anyone else had this before? How did you cope with it? What helped/didn't help?

I am so depressed over this and don't even know what to do with myself anymore.

Anything helps..

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

all i can talk about is the cystoscopy which is fine quickly and virtually no pain. put some jelly which numbs you . there was previous discussions about the pill and uti's if you search. i've been on macrobid for 6mths with no relief.due to see the consultant next week to explore other options. follow the advice about wiping from the back to the front aftergoing to the toilet ,drink plently etc. hope this helps j
  • Posted

I get infrequent UTIs but I know how frustrating and painful they are. I just found out about something called d'Mannose. Check it out! :o)

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the links as users can find the info by Googling d mannose.

• Posted

Hello.

I went through this too, the second I got with my current boyfriend I started getting UTI's every month sometimes twice and i kept going to my GP and I told them that I felt it was a problem to do with sex with my boyfriend but they wouldn't prescribe me any antibiotics to take after sex to stop it from happening. I ended up just telling my boyfriend sex was a no go & for 3 months I just was nope can't deal with the pain of UTI's but I was still getting them? But I still thought the reason was sex. Then after looking on this website I found that it could be because of my birth control. I decided to come off of my birth control and have been off for coming up to 3 months now & ive been UTI free ever since! Going from having a UTI every month to being free from them for 3 months after just a simple change of not taking my birth control seemed so simple!

Now I'm looking for a different birth control from the pill & hoping to stay UTI free.

The biggest thing that helped me too was cranberry juice and pills. Sometimes now I still get slight burning sensations because of the amount of UTIs I had and stuff so I just drink some cranberry juice and it seems to help!

Hope you're well!

• Posted

Thanks for the info .Did you take the tablets or powder. not sure which is best ? julie
    • Posted

Just realised my comment wasn't approved because I added a link. The article said it doesn't matter wether you take tablets or power, each are effective. I prefer tablets, as I find them easier to take. 
  • Posted

i have heard reports about someone that got relief from the mannose powder but not the tablets ! just starting a regime of cranberry juice last thing at night,d mannose and acidophilus plus some thrush treatment.
  • Posted

A family relative who has had continuous UTI infections has been diagnosed with a chronic candida yeast infection, caused by underlying allergies (most often gluten, grains, soy or dairy) and contributory chronic antibiotic use. This has been going on for 2 yrs, with the candida yeast being systemic (starting in the gut) and now inducing a low thyroid condition ( all induced by candida).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.