Recent heart attack

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 38 and 6 months ago I suffered a STEMI. Since then I realy dont feel I have had much info given to me on what to expect in the future. What I realy would like to know is whats the average sort of life expectancy after a heart attack these days. From what I uderstand mine was a relatively minor attack im a 5.8" male who is 13.7st (was up at 16s)so am over weight still but not massively my cholesterol is now at 3.2.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, the answer depends on many things. To quote my own example: I was almost 26 when I was hospitalised with my 2nd. MI, my first being a small and non - investigated event 7 years earlier. I was able to get back to my original work but stress forced me to reevaluate and change careers 7 years later, that was in 1973. I managed to work full time until 1982, then part-time until 1989 when I had a 6x CABG. I was able to continue work as a University teacher sometimes full time sometimes half time until 1999, when a scan for a spinal op. also revealed an AAA. I had had enough! Took early retirement, had the spinal op. but by the time the AAA had become operable (2013) was not fit for the  EVAR op. proposed. Reevaluated last year, taken in to have it done but in pre-op. the Surgeon told me my real chances of survival were less than 50%. Abandoned! Meanwhile in 2009 I came into the current phase of illness which is Heart Failure; had a CRT-D fitted in 2010 as was in life threatening arrhythmia, suplemented with a drug to slow my HR from 85 to 60bpm. Surgeon says 10% y-on-y chance of AAA popping but "enjoy life"!!!

Original prob. was massive Hypercholesterolaemia. When Statins and other drugs came along successful contol was possible. However also now have T2D + dicky Kidneys!

But all in all at 72 I am delighted to be still here and taking part!! Keep your chin up. start to aim for the space at the very end od the survival curve! Good Luck and keep taking the tablets !!

• Posted

Thanks a lot for your reply 68survivor. It sounds like you take one hell of a lickin and just keep tickin. It's good to hear that I might have a few years to go yet if all goes well. I wish you all the best with your health and hope you have a good few years in you yet.
  • Posted

Hi

The biggest risk factor after a stemi is the amount of damage there is to the muscle. You would have had an echo when you went to hospital. Ask your doctor to explain the findings he will be able to tell you if there is permanent damage as well as what your ejection fraction is. The fact that they said it was mild would indicate that there was no damage.

If there is no permanent damage then your heart will be back to normal already and it will not affect your life expectancy.

The main thing to be concerned with is why you had a blood clot. There are a lot of things that affect the thickness and clotting factor of blood. My doctor told me that if I did not drink so much soft drink I would not have had a blood clot. (I had a stemi 15mths ago).

You are lucky that the clot was to your heart, if the clot had been to the brain you it would have caused a stroke.

Try and turn this event into something positive. At 38 you are at an age that is most important to look after your health. The more you improve your fitness level the better your prospects of having a happier, healthier long live.

Please don’t do what I did and leave it to long, if I had of listened to my doctor more about my risks of blood clots. I would not be in heart failure.

Regards

Gloria

• Posted

Hi, I had the same as you but I was 57 at the time non smoker and quite fit. It is your wake up call. You dont need to become a fitness freak but watch what you eat stop drinking if you can, or reduce it. Defo no smoking and you will be fine. Everyone is different and your body might still be recovering but after a year you should start to notice. Its best not to think how much further you have to go to get back to normal but look how far you have come in your recovery.
  • Posted

I suffered the same in 1.5 month ago, I feel i am not well until today, especialy during sleep and suffering from some angina and heart palpitation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.