Recently diagnosed PCOS

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all, i just recently got blood work done and they confirmed i have PCOS. Im 25 & completely shocked that this is occuring. I dont know anyone in my family with this syndrome so its confusing and upsetting to hear. I cannot lie, i cried when i got the news. Im not ready for kids now but in the future im scared it wont happen for me. Nobody wants to hear they could struggle with fertility in their early twenties you know? What is some positive advice going forward with this news?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

people with PCOS that want to have kids are usually advised to take metformin when trying and throughout the pregnancy. It helps to balance your hormones. If you are very symptomatic with PCOS, metformin may help anyway. If you are going to take it, I would recommend the the slow release tablets as you get less side effects.

• Posted

Hi. I didn't have my first period until I was 17. I had an ovarian cyst, grapefruit size burst at the end of year 12 (last school year in Australia) and had emergency surgery. They diagnosed the PCOS then and I was put on The Pill as I do not have any natural periods. I only have a withdrawal bleeds, but no natural periods. All my scans show more than 20 large follicles but none release an egg. They just grow. Some symptomatic, some not. I obviously get far fewer cysts while on the pill. I had another ovarian cyst surgically removed that had bleed into itself... gross huh? The Pill is great at balancing your hormones and therefore reducing your symptoms.

Anyway, recently, I've only been bleeding while taking the pill so something is odd. I'm 37 and have no children as I became disabled 7 years ago... anyway, for pregnancy, there are many ways and PCOS is relatively common but severity differs. I've been told they'd try hormone injections initially but that I'm very likely to need IVF. My sister just had a baby through IVF (she's 41). It's a rough and expensive road but she has a son called Max now. With my history and now my disability issues, I'm terrified I won't have a baby. If you're in need of info/support, talk to your GP/gynaecologist. There's also plenty of info on the internet from great sources.

Take Care, Melissa x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.