Recently diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries - want more information

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

After months of going back and fourth to the doctors with very irregular periods and pain I have recently been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. I was diagnosed through bloods as my testosterone levels were high. When I asked about scans I was told this is unnecessary and was told I need to lose approx a stone. I know losing weight will help my symptons as I am slightly overweight. however my GP told me this will reverse the condition, is this true? I am worried as will want to try for kids in the near future. Any information or guidance about this condition would be helpful as I am slightly clueless. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Losing weight will definitely help, but it can't "reverse" PCOS. There are what are called "Thin Cysters" and they're women who have PCOS but who are thin, because a characteristic of the syndrome is that women are overweight. Start eating low carb, add some inositol supplements also. There are drugs to help us conceive so don't panic, but you will need to lose weight to have a greater chance of doing so.

• Posted

Thank you, yes I thought that it wouldn't reverse it but felt awkward in the GP to question it. Are ultrasound scans necessary in diagnosis, I was just wondering if everyone who has PCOs has actual cysts on their ovaries, if so surely scanning is the only way to know? thanks for the advice, I know there is a lot of information online but its a bit overwelming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.